MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lets all get together and stop spam.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB is suffering from spam. I am fighting with it daily. Spammers think that MyBB is an easy target, lets prove them wrong. To start of with I am going to show you how to make it very hard for spammers to use your forum.

To start out with install these plugins.
Goodbye Spammer - Set this up with http://www.stopforumspam.com and tell your mods to keep an eye on new registrations.
My team have added 105 submissions in a few days to their database. Doing this will help everyone that uses stopforumspam.com

Stopforumspam.com for MyBB - Spam prevention - This ones probably pretty obversely. This will stop anyone you added/listed on stopforumspam.com using the forum.

Hide Sigs and Website of New Users - This is what spammers want to do. Post links. This plugin stops them. I would tell you what I have it set to for amount of posts before they show but I don't want to give that away Smile

These other plugins don't help out other MyBB users but will cut down the amount of spam accounts created.

reCAPTCHA III
Javascript Bot Protection
Registration Security Question

This next thing is for people using a Apache server.
Check out this link and add it to your .htaccess http://aaronlogan.com/downloads/htaccess.php

With these guards in place hopefully Spammers won't think MyBB is an easy target, and leave us alone, but this is something all MyBB owners need to do.
I have a decent sized board and my spam is minor.

I have my own StopForumSpam plugin and I use reCaptcha III during registartion

Then I use GoodbyeSpammer and turn on the nofollow option in the latest Google SEO for dealing with spammers that make it on board
http://mods.mybb.com/view/limiturlposting

Use this, it should help a lot.

You can set it so certain groups like Unregistered and Registered, if they have less than 5, 10, 100 (whatever amount you want) posts, they cannot post any URL links.

Most spammers will post a link, and with this, it should help block a lot of them from posting.
(2011-09-12, 10:33 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I have a decent sized board and my spam is minor.

I have my own StopForumSpam plugin and I use reCaptcha III during registartion

Then I use GoodbyeSpammer and turn on the nofollow option in the latest Google SEO for dealing with spammers that make it on board

I don't get any spam posted on the forum, but I do get a lot of spam accounts where they try to use Signatures to post links.

So you don't get any spam accounts made up?
(2011-09-12, 10:36 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]http://mods.mybb.com/view/limiturlposting

Use this, it should help a lot.

You can set it so certain groups like Unregistered and Registered, if they have less than 5, 10, 100 (whatever amount you want) posts, they cannot post any URL links.

Most spammers will post a link, and with this, it should help block a lot of them from posting.

No Links Allowed is really good for this. I don't get much spam posted on the forum. I am just sick and tired of having 10-20 spam accounts being made up each day. Even though they can't post their spam links because of the guards I have in place, I am fed up with them trying.

Until every MyBB forum put these guards in place they will keep making up accounts. I have been to the arm pit of the net and found out where spammers hang out and they think MyBB is an easy target.

Just Google Kumanova18 and see how many MyBB forums that user has signed up to. I have added them to stopforumspam.com but that's still a lot of MyBB sites that user posted links on before they got added.
I added a custom question plugin a few weeks ago and it eliminated my spam issue.
Before I was relying on StopForumSpam's database, which would sometimes not be online (therefore several spammers slipping through the cracks).

I do have GoodbyeSpammer installed to make everyone's life easier, but it didn't cut it.
(2011-09-12, 10:39 PM)pinguy Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't get any spam accounts made up?

Very few "odd names" but with 15,000 members, odd names are often all that are left.

(2011-09-13, 12:52 AM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]I added a custom question plugin a few weeks ago and it eliminated my spam issue.
Before I was relying on StopForumSpam's database, which would sometimes not be online (therefore several spammers slipping through the cracks).

I do have GoodbyeSpammer installed to make everyone's life easier, but it didn't cut it.

My version of the SFS plugin actually caches the SFS database locally. Every night it grabs all the new entries since the last update so I can use the local copy first, so no dependencies on the SFS site at registration time.
(2011-09-12, 10:39 PM)pinguy Wrote: [ -> ]No Links Allowed is really good for this. I don't get much spam posted on the forum. I am just sick and tired of having 10-20 spam accounts being made up each day. Even though they can't post their spam links because of the guards I have in place, I am fed up with them trying.

I could be wrong but, based on that description, it doesn't allow clickable links, so it sounds like it might turn clickable links into unclickable.

My forum doesn't get any, at all. Well, we use to. Not in the last year or or two.
This is a Joke. 2 out of 10 accounts made on my forum are genuine. The rest are spammers.
You may think you have a large forum but if 80% of your users are just spam accounts its not really a large board.

Spam accounts are dead easy to find. They will have about a total of 3 - 5 Minutes online and they will have links in there Signature. If the links are to sites selling things like botox ect. Its a spam account.

Got an idea.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-103805-...56432.html

What do you lot think?
(2011-09-13, 09:20 AM)pinguy Wrote: [ -> ]This is a Joke. 2 out of 10 accounts made on my forum are genuine. The rest are spammers.
You may think you have a large forum but if 80% of your users are just spam accounts its not really a large board.

Spam accounts are dead easy to find. They will have about a total of 3 - 5 Minutes online and they will have links in there Signature. If the links are to sites selling things like botox ect. Its a spam account.

Well, that is pretty obvious. I don't allow signatures under 5 posts and by then, we have weeded out the spammers that do make it through registration.

(2011-09-13, 09:20 AM)pinguy Wrote: [ -> ]
Got an idea.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-103805-...56432.html

What do you lot think?

I replied to that thread. its not the exact answer you want, but it is a start, especially if the same url is getting posted