MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Theme Contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Looking for custom theme in greens and blues.

This is for my personal MyBB forum for plugins.
The Winner of the contest will receive a free lifetime subscription to the site.
The 1st and 2nd runners up will receive 1 year subscriptions.

I will be very particular about how I want the theme's files laid out:
mybb_root/themes/<theme_name>/ - all theme image files go here.
mybb_root/jscripts/editor_themes/<theme_name>-editor/ - customized copy of the Office 2k7 editor theme goes here.

So, for example, if my theme is named Cobalt I expect:
mybb_root/themes/cobalt/
mybb_root/jscripts/editor_themes/cobalt-editor/

Do not use Cobalt as the theme name. I already have a theme named that, just using it as an example.

I also expect custom graphics for the theme. Using stock MyBB graphics isn't going to earn you a spot. The psd must be included. For those who use GIMP, you can export a Photoshop PSD file when you choose save as. You must include a stock header image+psd as well. I prefer png images where MyBB allows it.

Questions are welcome.

The theme must be completed by November 25th December 2nd 8pm EST. Good luck!

EDIT: Deadline extended due to my Thanksgiving trip!
So, we make you several custom themes, and 1 of us just get plugins? Think you do a bit better than that?
(2011-11-10, 07:59 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]So, we make you several custom themes, and 1 of us just get plugins? Think you do a bit better than that?

Subscription for life is a pretty good deal vs. a yearly subscription fee of $7. I've got several plugins just waiting to be released once I have the theme so I can open the site up as well Wink

If you're not interested, don't compete.
(2011-11-11, 02:22 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-10, 07:59 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]So, we make you several custom themes, and 1 of us just get plugins? Think you do a bit better than that?

Subscription for life is a pretty good deal vs. a yearly subscription fee of $7. I've got several plugins just waiting to be released once I have the theme so I can open the site up as well Wink

If you're not interested, don't compete.

No offense but if you would like a theme, what I charge starts at $120 so unless your website is opened for a little over 17 years it won't be of worth to me

I should also mention that I'll only be using the winner's theme... so it isn't "several" themes. The non-winners are free to do whatever they want with their themes.

(2011-11-11, 02:25 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]No offense but if you would like a theme, what I charge starts at $120 so unless your website is opened for a little over 17 years it won't be of worth to me

Sure, if you choose to look at it only by the subscription amount. But considering the number, and quality, of the plugins I'll have available I don't think its that bad. Especially once I finish the few I have "in progress" as well.

I currently have 18 plugins that will be on the site (some are already available because they're freebies and are on the mods site) plus 4 more that are "in progress" and another 4 I still need to update from 1.4... though I may completely drop one of those.
What Jason is getting at is this is spec work. I understand you're giving no restrictions and are still offering rewards to the theme makers that don't come in first place but that's not compensating their hard work.

There would be no problem if you weren't planning on using the themes. But the fact that you are offering no immediate monetary incentive for the winning design with no guarantee that the design a themer makes will be used isn't ideal. I'm sorry to say this but any smart designer wouldn't take this job.

Further explanation of spec work can be found at NO!SPEC: http://www.no-spec.com/faq/
Ferron, don't treat me like an idiot. I know exactly what I'm offering and what I'm asking. And I think I understood Jason's point better than you did. No one is forcing anyone to enter, but this is an excellent chance for those who are new to show off their talent.

Also, the next person to post totally off topic saying this is "bad and a no go" will have their post deleted and a warning issued. I said questions are welcome, not criticism. If you want to be a bad seed, go somewhere else to do it because I'm not going to tolerate it in my thread. Frankly I'm sick and tired of this attitude in general in the community here. Its time everyone remembered the advice Thumper got from his mother: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
I might try my luck on this, but Dylan, could you expand this? Because my exams are ending on 23rd of November, and I don't plan to try something rubbish in just 2 days that are left after 23rd.
(2011-11-11, 04:37 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I might try my luck on this, but Dylan, could you expand this? Because my exams are ending on 23rd of November, and I don't plan to try something rubbish in just 2 days that are left after 23rd.

Actually, since I just found out we're going away for 5 days during that period... it works out for me to extend it anyways Wink

Not that I want to go Sad 5 days with my gf's family isn't my idea of fun. Her dad is annoying as hell sometimes.
Oh well, times may come that we've to adjust as per others need. At the end of the day, have fun. I'll probably plan to try to get my hands on it if possible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4