MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Don't you just hate checkboxes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Out of everything to be styled on a form, checkboxes are the worst. Firefox won't resize them, Chrome will only do it if you specify a size. Surprisingly, IE actually behaves properly in that regard - I know it's shocking. The worst bit is none of them will let you change anything about how they look, without going seriously overboard. In theory it can be done with CSS3 only, but it's fiddly, long, convoluted and kind of random in how it works. (I can get it working in p tags, but not in a list, which is how I generally set up my forms).

I've spent all day looking for a short, elegant solution, and in the end I just went back to jquery. It does the job, it's easy, but it feels so wrong. A script shouldn't be necessary to change the appearance of a little box.

Anyways, enough of the rant Big Grin Do you hate checkboxes as much as me? Do you hate styling anything else more? Should those in charge of browsers be beaten until they make them standards compliant, and those still on IE6 set on fire?
You can use other input types then I guess.

Personally I don't have an issue with them. But, I do see what you're saying.
They are so handy, though, just a pain in the bum Big Grin
Style the area around the checkbox then. I know how you feel but at the end of the day I realized they're not overly important imo. Being a pixel or two out of line isn't a big deal.
Yeah they are annoying... they won't consistently line up unless you make it very complicated...
The way I've been getting around it is with the jquery toggleclass, and styling the background of the label. So when someone clicks on the label or what looks like a checkbox it will toggle the backgrounds effectively. The checkbox itself gets hidden only if the person has jscript enabled, and it just goes back to looking rubbish if they don't. It's just an over the top solution for it imo Big Grin

I know it's only a small thing, but tis the little things all added together that make the whole look good. Also, I really go for minimalistic designs, with as little fuss as possible, so it makes a difference (well it does to me, but I am a tad obsessive over things).