MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OpenVZ or Xen VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am slightly confused between choosing an OpenVZ or Xen VPS, linux of course.

Well, Xen VPS has its own separate kernal, that is the only difference and that is why price of it is little bouncy, but that won't be an issue.

So which one do you recommend for a good performance? Would OpenVZ do? Or I should consider choosing Xen?

Thank you.
OpenVZ are little cheaper as compared to Xen.
Not familiar with Xen VPS, but I am in the middle of installing and trying out the free XenSever from Citrix. Not sure if that is what you are talking about.

It's a true hypervisor and is installed on a bare metal box. It will partition 4GB of the main local storage and use that for its install, then leave there rest of local storage of VMs. XenCenter that comes with it is pretty cool as well. My current issue is that XenServer won't let me create new partitions or extend its existing one so that I can store ISOs locally.
I prefer Xen because as you said it's a separate kernel. Since OpenVZ uses a shared kernel it can sometime cause issues (like with Arch linux).

Also it's supposedly harder to over sell xen but I don't know how true that is.
I was also under the impression that Xen is harder to oversell. I assume this is because Xen, having it's own kernel, provisions resources beforehand. Those resources are only available to that Xen VpS. With OpenVS 4th ram could be shared between any number of VPSes, but with Xen you could only have 4 x 1gb machines Smile
Xen isn't that much harder to oversell, but generally it's not oversold as much as OpenVZ.
So, should I finally consider a Xen? How are the operation in both? I mean, are they similar up to some extent?
(2011-12-20, 04:56 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]So, should I finally consider a Xen? How are the operation in both? I mean, are they similar up to some extent?

Basically it's a guide to tell you the quality of what to expect (Never an absolute, I've had an OpenVZ VPS for the past year and I love it). Generally Xen aren't oversold (as often) therefore it's a more trustworthy brand. (Ie how Dell is more trustworthy then say, Bob's Homemade PC's)
I'd say Xen if you're not on a tight budget. Any of the two will do. Premium Xen VPS providers are Linode and 6sync. You might want to look at those providers.
Alright cool. And how about RAM? I mean I get around 5K-7K unique visitors everyday on UB and around 100+ people are at least online every past 15-30 minutes, so what ram would be suitable? Very less idea about how much RAM would it need to be very smooth as lubricant.

Guaranteed Memory 256 MB ; Burstable Memory: 512 MB
Guaranteed Memory 512 MB ; Burstable Memory: 1024 MB

Out of both, which would do better?
Pages: 1 2