MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Username mark-up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you know we can define the html mark-up of usernames based on usergroup.

For example, all admins have their usernames displayed in green and italicized, all mods have their usernames displayed in purple and italicized, and all regular members blue and not italicized.

How about adding an option/feature to define username mark-ups based on individual users, which would overwrite the mark-up of the usergroup that user is in.

I think it would be nice to give certain members, or members from a certain usergroup, the option to choose the mark-up for their own username.

The admin would have to assign this special mark-up to the members through the ACP (in the edit member screen), of course, they wouldn't be able to do this themselves.
I would highly like this feature, but strongly believe it must be a plugin.
(2011-12-20, 07:08 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I would highly like this feature, but strongly believe it must be a plugin.

Why should it be a plugin? Why can't it be a default feature?
(2011-12-20, 08:47 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-20, 07:08 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I would highly like this feature, but strongly believe it must be a plugin.

Why should it be a plugin? Why can't it be a default feature?

As far as I see it, it could overload the forum in which there is a high user database. And not much people are interesting in this kind of feature by default.
Nor interested? That's becuz such a feature doesn't exist yet. And besides, you could limit this privilege to mods and admins only, for example.
Useless feature IMO (better suited as a plugin if you really wanted this). Users would abuse it, making their username look as if they were a staff member.
(2011-12-21, 05:03 AM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]Nor interested? That's becuz such a feature doesn't exist yet. And besides, you could limit this privilege to mods and admins only, for example.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/user-appearance-02

And even with the pain of core edits need it to use this plugin at all, I wouldn't like such a feature in core. But, of course, it is my own opinion, nothing else.
(2011-12-21, 05:38 AM)Spencer Wrote: [ -> ]Useless feature IMO (better suited as a plugin if you really wanted this). Users would abuse it, making their username look as if they were a staff member.

I think you misunderstood. I meant users wouldn't be able to do this by themselves, but an admin would have to set them up with a custom username mark-up, to avoid abuse of the system.

That's just it, there wouldn't be mark-up based on ranks anymore. Why would staff members deserve a fancier username mark-up than regular members? They're not better than anyone else, if you know what I mean, everyone should be treated equally, at least in this respect.

But thanks for your opinion, I do understand that some people won't like this feature, it doesn't suit eveyone's forum policy, I understand that, and respect that Smile
(2011-12-21, 06:21 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-21, 05:03 AM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]Nor interested? That's becuz such a feature doesn't exist yet. And besides, you could limit this privilege to mods and admins only, for example.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/user-appearance-02

And even with the pain of core edits need it to use this plugin at all, I wouldn't like such a feature in core. But, of course, it is my own opinion, nothing else.

I understand all too well that this feature will undoubtedly not be fit for everyone, it's a feature one really has to like, or it won't work out.

Thanks for clarifying your points.
There are also many people who would like this feature, undoubtedly.
To me, having the colors and ranks reserved for staff members is a good thing. It can prevent people from acting like moderators, etc.

You could argue that if people looked at the title, then everything would be okay. However, some people don't know all this stuff. I consider the colors a tertiary measure for preventing confusion.

But the concept is interesting, however, for one person that wants it, there is another that doesn't need it. This would add load to everyone's forum, whether they are using the feature or not (query would have to be run to see if the feature is enabled). Therefore, this would be best suited as a plugin.
Well ok, I agree now that it shouldn't be a default feature, but it could at least be made into a plugin, that would be awesome.