MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Latest Visitors on Profile [for 1.8]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Over the past week, I've been developing a little "latest visitors on profile" plugin for MyBB 1.8 that adds a basic profile visits counter and a latest visitors log to user profiles. This plugin also makes use of some of the new features and hooks the MyBB team has provided for plugins in MyBB 1.8 as well (and thus it won't be compatible with MyBB 1.6). Some of the key features implemented so far include:
  • Ability to count profile visits and to display the latest visits via a jquery popup box.
  • Ability to configure whether visits to a user's own profile will be counted.
  • Ability to cache visits so that a user cannot simply reload a page rapidly to increase their stats. (By default, this value is set to 15 minutes. This plugin will only log one visit per user per profile during this 15 minute interval. )
  • Ability to reset the counter and to empty the logs for users, if necessary.
  • Ability to configure which usergroups are logged.

Screenshots (click for full size):

[Image: F9j36a0.jpg]
------------------
[Image: DncwpHU.jpg]

I pretty much have the beta version ready on github if anyone is interested in testing what's already done. I still have to do some testing on a few things, but should have everything ready for release this week (possibly tomorrow). Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or feature requests for the plugin as it stands now?

Disclaimer: As previously stated, this is a beta plugin and is not released yet. For that reason, I strongly advise waiting until the official release to install this on a live forum.
thanks try it, worked our forum Smile
Haven't tested but really, a visits counter is pretty much useless. Like the views in threads.
(2014-09-23, 07:28 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't tested but really, a visits counter is pretty much useless. Like the views in threads.

I do agree to some extent, but some users seem to like this feature on IPB forums, so I figured I'd include it for those who do find it useful. (I did add a setting to disable this for users who don't want to use it. I really should have included that much sooner. Toungue)

Thanks for the feedback.
Okey, the first setting should be removed. Disabling the plugin should be enough. That is my opinion as a developer.

The second setting should probably not be included. Why not log anyone and only show invisible users data to those who can see it? Just like the "Users browsing this thread: " feature in threads. Invisible users are hidden and market with a "*".
(2014-09-24, 06:00 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Okey, the first setting should be removed. Disabling the plugin should be enough. That is my opinion as a developer.

The second setting should probably not be included. Why not log anyone and only show invisible users data to those who can see it? Just like the "Users browsing this thread: " feature in threads. Invisible users are hidden and market with a "*".

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

1) I've seen some plugins include that setting to allow users to make additional modifications to modified templates without the plugin actually being functional. For this plugin, that obviously isn't necessary because only one small modification is made to the member_profile template, but I tend to keep the enable/disable settings in anyhow just for consistency. (That's my irrational OCD about consistency taking effect. If it doesn't look nice in the end, I'll just end up removing it. Toungue)

2) That is a good point. Currently, users aren't logged at all if they are invisible, which I imagine will also become an issue when users change their invisible status. I will be working on this to improve the invisible users implementation. It definitely needs to be more consistent with how MyBB handles invisible users elsewhere.