MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to add a special 'New Thread' function to a MyBB forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I'm currently learning the ins-and-outs of the MyBB PHP code, as I want to make modifications to it so it can perform some additional functions. MyBB is pretty heavy stuff for me, but so far I've understood the way it stores chunks of HTML in the database as 'templates' that are used by the PHP code, and that there are plugin 'hooks' executed at the start and end of blocks of code, so you can splice your plugins in at those points.

What I want to do is to have a special sub-forum, which has a different button to 'New Thread'. This different button will open a different kind of thread-creation page, which will be more structured than a standard New Thread page (which just has a textbox and formatting buttons). It will then create a normal Thread using the structured information given by the user, with one exception: the first post will have special rating buttons (such as 'Agree / Disagree' or '1 to 5'), which other users will click on, and this information will be stored.

What I'm asking: is, could anyone give me hints or steps on how I should proceed in this development, and confirmation that it is possible? Also, can this be accomplished using only plugins? If not, is there a guide on making modifications to MyBB without crippling the ability to receive updates?

Many thanks!
OK thanks, I'll start my reading Smile