MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change hosts successfully
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
How to change hosts successfully

Description:
This tutorial will help you move your mybb community forum to another server/hosting account. If you have any errors or problems please reply or post in the support board.

Step 1

First go into your MyBB administrator control panel and disable all plugins then go down to Database Tools on the left frame and select Backup Database. Once you are brought to a new page on the right you will see a box with all of your database tables, on the left of that you will see "Select All", click that. Now make sure the following fields are checked:

GZIP Compressed
Download
Structure and Data
Analyse and Optimise Selected Tables: YES
Perform a sequential backup? YES

Now it will ask you to download the database file. Save it to your desktop or where ever you want.

Step 2

Download all of your forum files, download the WHOLE forum folder to your computer in your FTP Client.
Go into your new hosting control panel and create a mysql database and user.
Now open /inc/config.php and change it to your new host mysql database information you just created.

Note: only change the following lines:
$config['hostname'] = ' ';
$config['username'] = ' ';
$config['password'] = ' ';
$config['database'] = ' ';
$config['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';
Now edit /inc/settings.php and edit the settings.

Once you have edited the files, save them and upload your forum folder to your new host using a FTP client.

Step 3

Go into your new hosting control panel and find out how to get into phpmyadmin. Once
you are in phpmyadmin click on your database name on the left. Once you click on the database
you will have access to all of the database tables. Now look at the top on the right for the tab that
says "SQL". Now look down to where it has a browse button and says "Or Location of the text file:".
Click on the browse file to find the Database Backup you downloaded on your old forums.
Then click the "GO" button, once its done it will have inserted all of the database a

Step 4

Go to your new forum URL and it should let you in it, then login with your username and password
from your old forum and then your all set, your forum should work the same as if it was on your
old host.

If you need help with anything just reply Wink

FAQS:

Question:
When I click any forum link it takes me to the old host???
Answer:
rh1n0 Wrote:If you type in your new domain address followed by /admin then you will be directed to the new Admin CP.
Then change (in your settings) the board URL to the new URL, and the other options of a similar nature, obviously.

Before doing so, ensure all files are correctly CHMOD'ed. Smile
Wow, nice guide my friend Wink

I'm sure this will help a lot of users out there.

Keep up the good work Smile
Thank you for the reply Smile
Nice guide. It was easy to follow until:
Quote:Step 3

Go into your new hosting control panel and find out how to get into phpmyadmin. Once
you are in phpmyadmin click on your database name on the left. Once you click on the database
you will have access to all of the database tables. Now look at the top on the right for the tab that
says "SQL". Now look down to where it has a browse button and says "Or Location of the text file:".
Click on the browse file to find the Database Backup you downloaded on your old forums.
Then click the "GO" button, once its done it will have inserted all of the database a
I did this, and in phpmyadmin, when I clicked SQL on my new database I just created, the was no browse button. I only see that if you click on the tab "import", but that didn't work.

EDIT: I did the import thing to import my database. It worked and I got 49 table or whatever they're called onto my new database you told me to create in this guide. But, when I go to my new forum url, I get this:
MySQL error: 2005
Unknown MySQL server host 'cmi' (1)
Query:

EDIT2: Nevermind, I figured it out, and it worked! Thank you so much! I only have one question.
Everything appears right now, but the forum theme changer doesn't work and it won't let me login at all. I can access the admin CP, but when I try to login normally, it just redirects and doesn't login?
You will probably need to go into your Admin CP and change your cookie settings.
Yeah, I figured that out after 20 minutes of page reloading. ^^;
Thanks for the help!
hello,
i don`t know if the this meesage is in good place posted but i need a good person to help me with configuration for a website.
I have the sql database i modify the config file and the website still dosen`t work.
Can anyoane please help me!!!!
THX
grandgoodel Wrote:hello,
i don`t know if the this meesage is in good place posted but i need a good person to help me with configuration for a website.
I have the sql database i modify the config file and the website still dosen`t work.
Can anyoane please help me!!!!
THX
Did you move hosts or what?
If your running a new MyBB installation you need to run the install wizard.
NO.
I have a website and i created the database and username i imported the database and still not works.
if someone can help me please send me a PM.
Thanks
All depending if your new host is using Cpanel and your old host using cpanel, if both use it, you can simply submit a support ticket to your new host and ask them to move everything for you. Again, both hosts must be using cpanel.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14