MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Profile Field ("Required?" option wording)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the ACP > Configuration > Custom Profile Field - Option Editor settings, for the "Required?" option, it says:

Quote:Is this field required to be filled in during registration or profile editing? Note that this does not apply if the field is hidden.

The statement I've highlighted in bold above seems to be in error as a 'Hidden' field can also be a 'Required' field and visa-verse.

(Ex. I have a field marked as Required, but not hidden, and it works in that manner. I also now have a field marked as both Required and Hidden and that also seems to work in that manner.)

So, in affect, it does seem to 'apply' regardless of the Hidden option setting.

That statement should either be clarified or removed in the next MyBB release.

Thanks

P.S. I'm currently using MyBB 1.4.6 This 'very minor' issue may also be in previous versions of MyBB.
I can back that up...that additional statement should be removed to avoid confusion.
I don't think the statement is the problem - It seems to describe the functionality correctly. If the functionality doesn't match then it's an issue with the functionality.
But why remove an option that allows a hidden yet required field? It might be something staff requires but should be hidden.

That's how it works now. It should continue to work that way. You just have to remove that line. I can guarantee if you alter the function people will be unhappy.

Examples usage of hidden yet required:

Real Name
Website URL
Actual Home Address
Phone Number

All that could be data required by the site but should be remain hidden. Which is how mybb works and should work. It's just worded wrong in admincp.
Yet how can you fill it in, if it is hidden?
Umm...I thought hidden means hidden from member view. It's displayed only to staff and the actual poster. Maybe you weren't aware of how this feature worked.

If "hidden" was suppose to mean from the registration page then it's done wrong because that's not what it does. Hidden means hide from member view only.

As you say...hidden and required don't make sense together on the registration page. Taht's why this needs to be reworded to reflect the actual function.

Quote:Is this field required to be filled in during registration or profile editing? Note that this does not apply if the field is hidden.

It should say

Is this a field required during registration and profile editing?

The whole part about "hidden" is irrelvent to "required".

I am hoping my long winded response makes sense.

EDIT:

I just looked at the custom description for hidden:

"Should this field be hidden on the user's profile? If it is hidden, it can only be viewed by administrators/moderators."

As you can see hidden has nothing to do with registration. These two options are not related.

This bug isn't related to function...just a wording. The function is correct.
Thanks Labrocca. Had I have tried to explain it again, I would have been much more 'winded' than you.

I believe you have described the point about the 'wording' issue very well.

There is nothing wrong with it's intended function. Just the (IMO) 'confusing wording' OF it's function, should the (master) admin wish it to be hidden (from non-forum staff) AS WELL AS require it upon registration.

It does do that, as it should, but that's not what it says in the description. The description, as stated, implies that neither option can be 'in effect' at the same time.

Obviously, as I have explained previously, both conditions can be applied (and function as such) at the same time, which is a desired state in some cases.

In other words, one can implement both options, which work as they should, but the wording implies otherwise.