MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP Adoptables Script
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I guess here will do.
I'm trying to integrate mybb with Rusnak PHP Adoptables.
I know very little PHP and so I'm having a hard time. I know that somehow there needs to be a way where the users tables are the same, I don't know how to go further, as the Adoptables script has MD5 password encoding and this uses a salt.
Any help here?
MyBB still uses MD5, its just a salted MD5. This is more secure.

I see you're part of the thread over on those forums about integration. I'm unfortunately tied up right now coding for someone else (at least a half dozen plugins), and I don't work for free either. If you're interested in hiring me you can PM me and we'll talk in more detail.

I'm curious though why there isn't already MyBB integration from them since their forum uses MyBB?
OOPS, I was going to mention that it won't require any massive table changes like you thought it would. Thats full integration, not bridging. And a well designed bridge can get you 95% or better of the functionality of a full integration, but with some impact (not noticeable to a human usually) on performance.
Okay, that seems like a good sign for the integration.
I'm having some trouble on understanding the 'salt' part of everything. If anyone could explain that, I think that I'd be much closer to my goal. Smile
(2009-10-27, 02:47 PM)Arianna Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, that seems like a good sign for the integration.
I'm having some trouble on understanding the 'salt' part of everything. If anyone could explain that, I think that I'd be much closer to my goal. Smile

This is how MyBB salts its password:
md5(md5($salt).$password)

Basically that means you take the salt value from the db, md5 it, then append the password, and md5 the appended version.

So, if your salt was 5a5a you would have:
md5(md5('5a5a').$password)
And your $password was TestPasswd you would have:
md5(md5('5a5a').'TestPasswd')
Now, if md5('5a5a') resulted in 73v2tt9 (it doesn't) you would have:
md5('73v2tt9TestPasswd')
Which then if that resulted in 7sfv6309dwd7wsssa72 (again, it doesn't) you would have that value stored in the db for your password Smile

Any questions? Or was that clear enough?
Yes, it was. Big Grin I guess I can /try/ and integrate it, though I think that it might be somewhat hard, as all users are already stored using MD5, with no salts.
I might have to try and see if there's something to do about that.
Blah maybe you can make some script that ads the salt to those users that only have a MD5 password. Otherwise you might have to change it hand by hand?
I would guess that that would be the case. Isn't, however, the MD5 thing (the salt+typed in password) and then MD5'd. That means that (salt+already MD5 encoded password) wouldn't work.
(2009-11-20, 06:22 AM)Arianna Wrote: [ -> ]I would guess that that would be the case. Isn't, however, the MD5 thing (the salt+typed in password) and then MD5'd. That means that (salt+already MD5 encoded password) wouldn't work.

Correct, or at least close enough to correct to not matter. There would need to be some conversion/login linking.
I guess that's going to be hard to do. xP
(2009-11-20, 08:10 PM)Arianna Wrote: [ -> ]I guess that's going to be hard to do. xP

Not really, if everyone is a member of the forum anyways, you can just dispense with the Adoptables passwords completely.