MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Selling Userbar Plugin [Reseller Edition]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, my userbar plugin has been quite successful, but the current license prohibits redistribution (including use on forum hosts)

However to counter this I have decided to release a Reseller edition. This allows more flexibility, including the sale of the plugin if you choose to. You will get all updates (so Reseller v3.0 will be released alongside Userbar v3.0). You will receive a unique RID that identifies your reseller version, so when i find a site distributing my plugin I can simply request the RID, ensuring only those who have paid can resell.

The current cost is $40 per edition, you can distribute it on up to 3 sites. The only terms are:
  1. You must include my license (EG: you cant allow reselling!)
  2. You must not claim it to be your own.
  3. You must not disclose your RID to anyone.

If I find more than 3 sites running your RID, I will promptly email you. If I cant get in contact within 28 days all sites will receive a Cease And Desist order Wink

Thanks Smile
You could try one of those php licencing programs that connect to your database and if their subscription has expired it prevents them from continuing using the program as the key or RID will be invalid.

Sorry for the off topic, the idea sounds great, an interesting way of utilising money from a well designed plugin, well done!
That is a plan for future Smile. Basically, they would install the plugin on their site and it would connect to the remote server (my site) and check if the RID was valid. If it is, it serves a crucial part of the install to the script, thus allowing install. If not, the script install will fail. I am planning on doing this sort of licensing for other projects,much like vBulletin's software licensing.

Smile
That way, if it gets nulled, you'll know it's popluar xD
Lol yup :p
I wouldn't like to get off topic, but what kind of benefit I get by buying this? I mean, you (and other people) will be redistributing it too, and you have the official support, so why would someone prefer to download something from my site instead of yours.
(2010-07-04, 12:29 AM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't like to get off topic, but what kind of benefit I get by buying this? I mean, you (and other people) will be redistributing it too, and you have the official support, so why would someone prefer to download something from my site instead of yours.

Basically, if you are a forum host this benefits you because now you are allowed to use this plugin on ALL forums hosted by you.
Also, my site is virtually unknown. But is a site like Support Forums offered it as a subscribers download, they could probably make a lot of money out of it Smile