MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Recently we have started to notice that we were outgrowing a number of our previous policies. This has resulted in several unfortunate situations and so over the past few weeks we have been developing an overhaul of the policies for our the general discussion parts of our forum.

Included in these changes are:
As part of this overhaul we have also:
  • Renamed the Chit-Chat forum to General Discussion
  • Added the Web Development and Administration forum
  • Moved Requests/Services/Jobs forum from under General Discussion to be its own forum.
  • Emptied Showcase, moving the old posts to the archive.
  • Emptied Requests/Services/Jobs, moving old posts to the archive.

Note: If your old Showcase or Requests/Services/Jobs thread was moved to the archive and it complies to our new rules, you may report it and we can remove the replies then move it to the new forum. If your thread does not meet our rules please feel free to modify it so it does then post it again in the new forum.

For a limited time we will make this thread available for any questions and/or comments about these changes so if you have any please feel free to reply to this thread. However, please do not make additional threads about this.

Yours sincerely, the MyBB team.
Good update! This is definitely for the better.

Maybe at the bottom of the General Discussion rules, you can mention that if users want to "just chat", there's an IRC channel to do that.
I contest this rule; #
# It should display some form of customization or configuration from a default install

So i'm guessing succusful sites, like alonelylife can't have a showcase anymore? If you don't want to see the default theme, don't include it. Include an imageless, cssless theme.
I don't contest it, however it does need renaming.
They're trying to tell you showcasing a new install of MyBB with no sections, members, posts and so on isn't acceptable, and I agree. It needs to be re-written.
Yeah, if there's a board that has 4,000,000 posts and 10,000 members but is using the default theme, they should be still allowed to advertise.

However I do agree that cracking down on people who upload and install boards that have 1 post and 5 million forums is a good thing.
They have a custom logo, that demonstrates some form of customisation, plus I can see that they have enabled related threads, added a YouTube My Code and set up a number of forums which demonstrates configuration. There would be no problem advertising that forum here, the only time there would be a problem is if someone pretty much posted a default and empty forum in which case they would be showcasing nothing so we would want to remove their thread.
Then go back to my thread, why include anything if there is an intention of it supposed to be customized. The only reason i am here at the moment is because MyBB looks. Feature wise i would go to PHPBB or SMF, both i just hate the look, neither can keep a calm but cool look. PhpBB looks like a 4 year old on photoshop and crack, SMF a 1999 design. Really, what sets MyBB at first glance, is the theme.
I don't understand the issue, we are not saying that you have to use a custom theme, you may use the default theme but you have to actually be showcasing something for it to be advertised in showcase.

Ps. I merged this with the official discussion thread for the changes.
I agree with Tim here. What is the point in Showcasing a forum that has absolutely no content, just a few (or in many cases a "ton") forums? All that shows is that the forum owner/creator knows how to upload the files needed to create the forum, and also knows how to set up the categories/forums! let's face it, that part of the forum software here is something we should already know how to do. So to see such forums being supposedly showcased is just ridiculous! I'm also pleased that something has been addressed about the "join my forum" post threads, in other words those that the owner can't even be bothered to give some kind of forum description. Smile
(2010-07-29, 02:20 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Then go back to my thread, why include anything if there is an intention of it supposed to be customized. The only reason i am here at the moment is because MyBB looks. Feature wise i would go to PHPBB or SMF, both i just hate the look, neither can keep a calm but cool look. PhpBB looks like a 4 year old on photoshop and crack, SMF a 1999 design. Really, what sets MyBB at first glance, is the theme.

I think the point is that it needs to be original. The forum is called "showcase," "Showcase" being the operative word which implies that there is something to showoff; something original; something more then the standard.

Just like you're never going to see me on the cover of playgirl. I am an average programmer. I'd like to think I am sexy, but truth be told - I am probably not Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7