MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Can only view own threads" does not work for Guests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This function doesn't seem to work for guests.
I have a forum to assists logged out users in a case that their accounts don't work.

If we had to request information such as email or IP, we wouldn't want it to be seen by spambots.

vBulletin seems to work to the extent where only the original posting IP can see the post.

That would be a huge improvement.

Thanks.
Many IPs are dynamic nowadays - I don't really see how this would be beneficial. Surely there's a better way to do this..?
Yes, but I feel in most cases the issues would be resolved in 1 - 2 days anyway, after that. The post can be moved into a hidden archive or deleted entirely.

Most dynamic IPs don't change daily. Especially if users don't shut off the modem.
Having a "contact us" thingy will be your best bet.

Not everyone has login problems everyday
You'd be surprised, especially for any forums using stopforumspam.com plugin.

There's false positives for sure, especially since the dynamic IP switches to legitimate users.

And we do have a "Contact Us" thingy, which we restricted down to "Active" accounts only, due to certain spammers causing problems.

While the same problems may rise in the Help forum, it never has as of yet.
I would half to say this is a bad idea. I mod at forums where members who have been registered for awhile have over 25 IP addresses which overlap with over 11 other members.

If you are indeed a "big board owner" I'm surprised you want IP addresses being all you need to view created threads. It wouldn't work as well as you think.
(2010-11-21, 07:26 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]You'd be surprised, especially for any forums using stopforumspam.com plugin.

There's false positives for sure, especially since the dynamic IP switches to legitimate users.

And we do have a "Contact Us" thingy, which we restricted down to "Active" accounts only, due to certain spammers causing problems.

While the same problems may rise in the Help forum, it never has as of yet.

Then the solution appears to be to cease using a plugin that is giving your legit users problems. It's not worth whatever payoff it gives. And restricting the "Contact Us" form to active users is a big mistake. You seem to be causing yourself problems and expecting others to find you loopholes.
(2010-11-26, 02:33 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Then the solution appears to be to cease using a plugin that is giving your legit users problems. It's not worth whatever payoff it gives. And restricting the "Contact Us" form to active users is a big mistake. You seem to be causing yourself problems and expecting others to find you loopholes.
Yep. better complain to stopforumspam plugin Toungue
(2010-11-26, 02:33 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Then the solution appears to be to cease using a plugin that is giving your legit users problems. It's not worth whatever payoff it gives. And restricting the "Contact Us" form to active users is a big mistake. You seem to be causing yourself problems and expecting others to find you loopholes.

No, I clearly will not cease the use of the way everything functions.

The amount of spambots it stops outweights the amount of legit users it bothers.

I was merely suggesting of improving its functionality to match that of MyBB's rival, vBulletin.

It's not like I'm making up a function here to just better suit myself, it actually exists in vBulletin.

But hey, if the suggestion isn't taken into MyBB - so be it.

I only made this because I think it'll better suit everyone.

If I really needed this, I'd get a custom plugin done instead.
Yeah, but you have yet to address the fact that IP is not a reliable way to track this.
Pages: 1 2