Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4.53 Average
[Tutorial] Tabbed forum with jQuery (multi categories in one tab)
(12-27-2009, 04:59 AM)Skyance Wrote:  If I would have known this before I bought my subscription... well I would have still bought my subscription it anyways, this is a waste of time as you could just pay the measly $10 and get the plugin that takes 2 minutes to install/config.

This would be good if you only wanted it to work on certain themes.
[Image: premium_mybb_themes-500x100.png]
Latest Theme: MiniColor.
Nice, but the main reason Labrocca has one is because with his method you can add more than one category into a tab. With this, every category has a separate tab, which makes every tab only has one category. Pretty pointless.
Labrocca's method was designed to make it easier for forums with a lot of categories to be more user friendly in browsing.

No offense, honestly, it's a great tutorial!
wow, brilliant job. I just noticed this on Tierney's forum and it is much nicer than Labrocca's plugin.
I agree. This is much more sleek than Labrocca's.
Just wanted to say Tierney has a very nice design going there. Would be a good showcase site for this particular tutorial.

As to whether a plugin or a tutorial is better; I just think it's fantastic that people have a choice as to what approach they can take for a particular feature.

Thanks for posting your tutorial here, Joey_Pham!

For instance, for tabs only, one could use CSS only, or a combination of Javascript and CSS. And if you did decide to opt for a framework, you can also choose between e.g. jQuery or MooTools.
Current motto: Cross referencing threads by providing links is a good idea!
Back-on Online - Back-on Fansite
http://www.backon-online.com/

WordPress Snippets
http://www.wpsnippets.com/
Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?
(03-02-2010, 07:49 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote:  Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?

You can't, that's why I said Labrocca's method is better. It may be paid, but it's the only way to do what you're asking for.
(Actually, I think someone made a free plugin that works the same way, and you can add multiple categories to a tab. Not sure it he released it, but I know he was working on it.)
Thanks it works. Another reason not to buy plugin. Thanks for the code.
(03-02-2010, 08:45 PM)Joshee Wrote:  
(03-02-2010, 07:49 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote:  Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?

You can't, that's why I said Labrocca's method is better. It may be paid, but it's the only way to do what you're asking for.
(Actually, I think someone made a free plugin that works the same way, and you can add multiple categories to a tab. Not sure it he released it, but I know he was working on it.)

Well, from reading the source from the mod, it seems it doesn't allow multiple categories 'cause it uses "title="cat_*".
Now, I'm thinking if we go into {forums} and manually define everything (btw, anyone know what template that is? I want to try this), like the categories, it should work.

But then again, most of you know more about this than I do, so meh. :/
The source code of Labrocca's mod?