Current time: 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Showcase too much rejection
03-30-2012, 05:14 AM
RE: Showcase too much rejection
I don't think the current bump system is bad. Let's not forget the showcase forum is for getting opinion about our forum and not a forum advertising one. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions within few days.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2012, 05:21 AM
(03-30-2012 05:14 AM)kavin Wrote:  I don't think the current bump system is bad. Let's not forget the showcase forum is for getting opinion about our forum and not a forum advertising one. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions within few days.

Exactly. Plus the Showcase forum is cleaned out once a year so if your thread does get closed for excessive bumping, you can create a new one once it has been.
03-30-2012, 05:46 AM
(03-30-2012 04:54 AM)crazy4cs Wrote:  There shouldn't be such a bump limit, or if yes, at least 5 bumps/3 weeks should fulfill the needs.

That's high in my opinion. As now mentioned it's meant for feedback not advertising (besides mybb isn't the place for that anyway in less it's a topic that can relate to mybb). And, posts that are in response to feedback aren't considered bumps.

I would say maybe one bump a month would be more than enough.

@AlexSmithWI
03-30-2012, 05:53 AM
This user has been denied support. This user has been denied support.
Fair enough.

Z5T - Dynamic URL Shortener
My Plugins & Themes
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2012, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 06:32 AM by Solution.)
* Solution thinks that you have a valid point.
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
(03-30-2012 05:14 AM)kavin Wrote:  I don't think the current bump system is bad. Let's not forget the showcase forum is for getting opinion about our forum and not a forum advertising one. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions within few days.

No one is arguing that. The showcase section si one of the most active sections in MyBB, but not for replies, but for new threads. Within a week you're on the second page, no one goes on the second page to give feedback. Then within a month, you're on the 3rd and 4th pages. IF you've already bumped too many times, how the hell do you come back from that to gather more opinions?

It's not about "Omg I won't get more members now", it's "No one else is giving feedback". A time limit period is a good system in my opinion, if it's once a month that's great, one bump a month.

(03-30-2012 05:21 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote:  Exactly. Plus the Showcase forum is cleaned out once a year so if your thread does get closed for excessive bumping, you can create a new one once it has been.

Once a year? That's a stupidly long period for someone to wait. Mebes has to wait 1 year now to start advertising his unique site and getting feedback? I definitely think the system needs altered slightly.
03-30-2012, 02:21 PM
(03-30-2012 01:48 PM)Anxiety Wrote:  Once a year? That's a stupidly long period for someone to wait. Mebes has to wait 1 year now to start advertising his unique site and getting feedback? I definitely think the system needs altered slightly.

That's not to say threads will be cleaned out when they're a year old - they're manually cleared out once a year, no matter if the thread is 8 months old or 8 weeks old.

We haven't actually cleared out the Showcase forum since before 1.6 was released. We'll be clearing it out again soon though.
03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
(03-30-2012 01:48 PM)Anxiety Wrote:  

No one is arguing that. The showcase section si one of the most active sections in MyBB, but not for replies, but for new threads. Within a week you're on the second page, no one goes on the second page to give feedback. Then within a month, you're on the 3rd and 4th pages. IF you've already bumped too many times, how the hell do you come back from that to gather more opinions?

It's not about "Omg I won't get more members now", it's "No one else is giving feedback". A time limit period is a good system in my opinion, if it's once a month that's great, one bump a month.

If everyone have power to bump more times, then everyone will do so. In that case, the topic will move to next page however.

Paul's suggestion would be the best solution. Showcase topics should be Staff approved before appearing. It will reduce the issue a lot.
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
(03-30-2012 02:21 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote:  That's not to say threads will be cleaned out when they're a year old - they're manually cleared out once a year, no matter if the thread is 8 months old or 8 weeks old.

We haven't actually cleared out the Showcase forum since before 1.6 was released. We'll be clearing it out again soon though.

That's fair enough, I don't really mind/care about the inevitable flushing out that happens, that's good. But threads get lost, and if you have ran out of bumps but you've made significant changes to your board how would one raise awareness for feedback? Wait however long for it all to be flushed and post it again? That's stupid in my opinion.

(03-30-2012 03:19 PM)kavin Wrote:  If everyone have power to bump more times, then everyone will do so. In that case, the topic will move to next page however.

Paul's suggestion would be the best solution. Showcase topics should be Staff approved before appearing. It will reduce the issue a lot.

How would one bump every 30 days result in your board still moving to the next page constantly? At least it would be relevant again for a period of time, then the next 30 days you do the same thing. It's a much better system than the current one, I don't see how you can deny that.

I agree, showcase threads should have to be approved. If the moderators are active enough then sure.
03-30-2012, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2012 10:58 PM by Josh H..)
Quote:How would one bump every 30 days result in your board still moving to the next page constantly? At least it would be relevant again for a period of time, then the next 30 days you do the same thing. It's a much better system than the current one, I don't see how you can deny that.

I agree, showcase threads should have to be approved. If the moderators are active enough then sure.

Nathan Malcolm Wrote:* Nathan Malcolm likes how Facebook sent him a white page and a "500 OK" response code
* Nathan Malcolm says "No facebook, that is not OK."