Current time: 04-19-2014, 04:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoother Images
08-23-2009, 11:55 PM
RE: Smoother Images
Why not use the PNG files, but give them the .GIF extension instead of .PNG? It's an ugly hack but a step in the right direction. I already do this for those stupid hardcoded images where I can't change the extension without editing a PHP file.

I do agree that there are places where .GIF is still useful, like lossless compression of a background image. I tried PNG for that but due to the gamma adjustment it's impossible to get a gradient to fade to a consistent solid color across computers and even browsers.

[Image: rslm.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2009, 01:57 AM
(08-23-2009 11:45 PM)Steven Wrote:  "Never put off tomorrow what you can do today." - Thomas Jefferson

Sounds to me like laziness.

That saying did come to mind, yes. I wouldn't call it laziness, out of sheer respect for the MyBB team.

It would be a step forward and make new themes a lot easier. I don't want to sit around in the pixelated-images era for more years to come, just because some older themes won't work. All of my themes essentially depend on PNG to looks good..

Then again, 1.2 themes don't work properly with 1.4, so why should 1.4's work with 1.6? I personally don't think there are many themes out there actually worth upgrading to 1.6. Of course, others will think otherwise.

good u
08-24-2009, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2009 02:16 AM by Ryan Gordon.)
(08-23-2009 11:55 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote:  Why not use the PNG files, but give them the .GIF extension instead of .PNG? It's an ugly hack but a step in the right direction. I already do this for those stupid hardcoded images where I can't change the extension without editing a PHP file.

I do agree that there are places where .GIF is still useful, like lossless compression of a background image. I tried PNG for that but due to the gamma adjustment it's impossible to get a gradient to fade to a consistent solid color across computers and even browsers.

Because that is redundant. It's still a PNG file by all means, and if the browser or image program you use doesn't use mime sniffing then you're screwed.

(08-24-2009 01:57 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote:  Then again, 1.2 themes don't work properly with 1.4, so why should 1.4's work with 1.6?

Seriously? You do realize why so many 1.2 themes didn't work with 1.4 right?

(08-23-2009 11:45 PM)Steven Wrote:  "Never put off tomorrow what you can do today." - Thomas Jefferson

Sounds to me like laziness.

You have, what, then than 100 posts here? Why don't you take over all of development, support, and management. Then tell me we're lazy.
08-24-2009, 02:15 AM
No, actually. I came into the picture during 1.4. If you'd care to clarify why they didn't work, I'm all ears.

good u
08-24-2009, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2009 02:19 AM by Justin S..)
I think a quick look through the MyBB 1.4 Feature Tour provides a pretty good explanation:

http://www.mybboard.net/features/feature-tour

Everything in that tour was new for MyBB 1.4. Smile Plus, the entire theme system was rewritten to allow for multiple stylesheets - a complete change from the 1.2 system.

@justinsoltesz - MyBB Lead Designer - jsoltesz.com - rctgo.com - quizli.com
08-24-2009, 02:19 AM
If it isn't already in use, why not use iepngfix.htc? Many other majer softwares packages already are, and it does what it does well.

[Image: logo.png]

Tom K. in "What are you listening to now?":
(10-29-2012 08:24 AM)Tom K. Wrote:  The fridge - In my kitchen
08-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Until this point, I was completely unaware it was a major release. I apologize.

good u
08-24-2009, 02:25 AM
(08-24-2009 02:15 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote:  No, actually. I came into the picture during 1.4. If you'd care to clarify why they didn't work, I'm all ears.

There were thousands of significant changes to the MyBB source code for MyBB 1.4. These changes included everything from an entirely rewritten ACP, to thousands of updates to the source code, to the rewriting of hundreds of templates.

MyBB 1.6's aim is not as drastic as MyBB 1.4's aim. This is in part due because we don't want another 3 year development cycle, and also in part because we are using up a part of our time planning out MyBB 2.0. As such it was decided early on in the planning stage for MyBB 1.6 that actual "changes" to current features, functionality, and standards would be kept to a minimal. Indifference, we would focus on simply "adding" more functionality/features. Changing code affects everything that was using it, while adding code doesn't have the "history" that you have to take into account.
08-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Okay, I see where you're coming from.

good u
08-24-2009, 03:00 AM
(08-24-2009 02:11 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote:  You have, what, then than 100 posts here? Why don't you take over all of development, support, and management. Then tell me we're lazy.

Way to be arrogant, there, buddy. I'm simply making a point - why hold something back when you can (and should) do it now? It just doesn't make sense.

[Image: 422.png]