Thread Rating:
  • 56 Vote(s) - 4.14 Average
Administrating MyBB - good practices
_jordan Wrote:Is there a built in feature for backing up my databases?

In 1.2 there is a feature to backup, but 1.1x doesn't have this by default.

To have this feature in 1.1x you need the eMods Core and the Database Archiving Module. Smile
[MyBB Templates] [ProgrammingTalk] [Need Smilies? Get Me Smileys!] [My Blog]
ForumUniversity's GlobalWarming Awareness2007 project.
Sad Came to see if there was something I could do to improve the security, found the first post and wanted to try this one. Downloaded my config.php, opened it and big suprise, this option to change the admin dir is taken out of the config. What a shame, it was in my opinion a very good idear to avoid those scriptkiddies. At least, a little bit. Will this function come back in the future?
Give a skeptic an inch and he'll measure it.
[Image: signature.php]
Use this code for your config:

Code:
<?php
/* Database Configuration */
$config['dbtype'] = "mysql";
$config['hostname'] = "localhost";
$config['username'] = "";
$config['password'] = "";
$config['database'] = "";
$config['table_prefix'] = "";
/* Admin CP URL */
$config['admindir'] = "admin";

/* Datacache Configuration */

/* files = Stores datacache in files inside /inc/cache/ (Must be writable)*/

/* db = Stores datacache in the database*/
$config['cachestore'] = "db";
?>

Change it so it fits your needs.
[Image: destroyerjf8.jpg]

Give us your feedback about MyBB in this thread and become listed on the MyBB website.
knol Wrote:Sad Came to see if there was something I could do to improve the security, found the first post and wanted to try this one. Downloaded my config.php, opened it and big suprise, this option to change the admin dir is taken out of the config. What a shame, it was in my opinion a very good idear to avoid those scriptkiddies. At least, a little bit. Will this function come back in the future?
If this line of code is not in the inc/config.php file, add it yourself:
PHP Code:
$config['admindir'] = "n37sgb3"
Of course, replace the random characters with characters of your choice. Then, rename the actual "admin" directory on your web server to the same name. Your admin control panel link from MyBB will have updated to the new directory, from which you can then access the admin control panel.
Peter Akkies
So, it is still working, thank you! Smile
Give a skeptic an inch and he'll measure it.
[Image: signature.php]
I also read the first post. I was able to locate the config.php file, locate the string value and change it, and then changed the admin folder name to refelect the change in value. I tested this and the acp opened fine.

Update: ...and everything worked fine until I tried to look at my forums while logged in on both bbs. I had to revert to the default and log in and log out of the boards separately, which suggests that the way cookies are handled may be a problem with two installs on the same domain.

Anyone else have this cookie problem? It manifested itself by letting me log in but returned me to the index page logged out.
Thankies for this one, all sorted out with me now ^_^
Thanks for the info.
I just changed the directory of my MyBB admin panel and the version number was already shut off in configuration. Smile I always update to the latest version too.
[Image: jordang1hy2.jpg]
The Fun Bucket | The iPhone Zone Both sites running Wordpress and MyBB.
Thank you it is good for security