MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The fastest and most optimised forum you've seen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2011-07-29, 09:19 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]1.2 seconds is a great time generally anyway. You've saved all of 0.5 seconds and I must now ask, was it really worth it? I don't think it would be you see - especially for an empty forum with no traffic or content. Sure, if you had a large board which was running slow, you'd want to optimise it. For an empty board though, it's not worth the effort.
.. it loads between 400-900ms generally (its on a shared server so will depend on server activity...you might even see it go up to about 1.4 seconds at times. The server isn't what I was showcasing, the "forum designed for performance" was what I was showcasing)

For my case, it was more of theoretical matter of "can it be done on a myBB forum"
Ans=> Yes we can have Google PageSpeed scores of 99 (and possibly even 100), and yes we can have ySlow scores > 95

The work has been done. Many of the hacks I've done have been posted through out this forum (but not all, since it sounds like many people don't want to know). So the big board members can benefit from some of these if they really want to / need to

Googles Labs/site performance has a black and white view of this (this is just the Labs) : If its > 1.5 seconds its slow, if it's < 1.5 seconds its fast (these aren't my guidelines, but Google Labs.)

So yes, if its loading at 1.2 seconds, according to Google Labs, you're "fast"

=> Was it really worth it: hell yes... it shows that it can be done (and for large forums, they can benefit from this)

=> Was it really worth it for my forum: I like tweaking for performance, it was a good practice to "get things right for performance". I have never seen a forum so designed for performance. This wont help get users / traffic, but that wasn't the intention, it was an attempt to show that it can be done (and it's easy to do with MyBB)

=> I'm now about to tweak another forum type I like the look of (it performs really slow, but the design looks great). I have a difficult task for the other forum, since many of the css, images and scripts are dynamically genreated via php.. so merging /reducing bloat and minifying wont be as easy
... A waste of effort for many people views (but performance is part of my line of work)

I'm not showcasing sites that have lots of traffic, or uses the fastest servers/database, or even look good (because it really doesn't)
I'm only showcasing that you can have a functional forum that is optimally designed for performance, and I believe this forum is about as optimally designed for performance as it gets.

(2011-07-29, 02:57 AM)Tenants Wrote: [ -> ]If you're just interested in the javascript offline method, I can PM you the details.

But it is a custom hack (which requires modification of the php files), and will make it harder for you to upgrade in future (I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are confident in messing around with the PHP files)

I don't use plugins, since the plugins will often require an extra query (that isn't needed), I use a lot of PHP hacks

all of this "
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://community.mybb.com/jscripts/prototype.js?ver=1600"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://community.mybb.com/jscripts/general.js?ver=1600"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://community.mybb.com/jscripts/popup_menu.js?ver=1600"></script>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="http://community.mybb.com/cache/themes/theme2/global.css" />
"

Isn't really needed when you are off line (and certainly isn't needed at the start of the HTML).

The biggest tweak that I found. was reducing request by spritng the images. If you have lots of small images, combine them and set them as one css background (trimming the sizes down) ... or one for vertically repeting units, one for horizonally repeating units and one for icons/non repeating units

You can see that there are only a certain number of parallel downloads the browser can do at one time. And that most of the time isn't spent transferring the data, but its spent getting a request to the data (so the size of the images is often no where near as important as the number of the images)

Have a close look at pingdom tools, and look at what the bar colors mean.
[Image: img_explanation.gif]
The blue bit is relative to the size of the package, and its often insignificant when comparing to the rest (unless you have a high performance server compared to the network connection)

... off to bed now

ah yes. I made some design decisions on leefish (my site) that does mean I can't do all of these things - or at least I can't work out how Blush.
All buttons etc are CSS so as a result we have almost NO images on the board except for the downloads pics (which we need given the kind of items we share) and I have accepted that having ten images on a page (no matter how optimised) and shadowbox as the player - IS gonna slow things down.

Javascript
I use prototype to power my login/signup so I kind of need that on the guest view as well. My BIGGEST mistake - is using jQuery. Once I work out how to get the jQuery functionality I have repeated using prototype I will be kicking jQuery off the board. That should make it possible for me to load JUST what I need on page load and defer the rest.

It would be interesting to hear what your page speed score is with a user logged in Wink

I was thinking of going with combine.php to load the js - that might help. It's the requests that are killing me you see - so taking jquery off and replacing it with lots of little bits of proto-powered code is just going to MOVE the problem - not solve it.
Quote:Oh dear... I'm not getting much of a positive response

It's an interesting brag but unfortunately one that doesn't have high regard. Especially given the sites empty status.

I'm sure we're all glad you chose MyBB for it's performance and glad it's met your expectations. Now you just need some activity.
Hmm. I dunno. Of COURSE no content makes it fast - we all know that - but content or no content - it is optimised, at least as far as the js and images goes. Like I said - I would like to see the page speed results as a non-guest.

My personal goal (and my site is quite small) is to get my page speed numbers up to 90+. Thats fine by me - I would be delighted - so this means I have to deal with the JS requests.
"An empty forum makes more sound WinkWinkWinkWink rather than posts."

The posts u made here are more than what u made on your forum.

Get some posts and users then we will re-test your speed.

Speaking about the design,it is below average and needs more customusation.
Shadows and colors are too crappy,make some work on it and then repost here.

Your site is pretty slow buddy.
Nice try though.
http://www.iwebtool.com/speed_test?domai...2Fforum%2F
That's a server test, rft is on a shared server

The first post:
[Note: The thread title should say "fastest designed", since it's the design of the forum, not the server/db that has been optimized]

.. I think I've been saying this through out, its designed to be as fast as possible. The forum is optimally designed (code/script/css/images) for performance
What is about big board snobbery. Let the guy be proud. Of course there is no need to brag though.
As for link Concon it took ages to load. Which is ironic for a page test tool don't you think?
Pages: 1 2 3 4