MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reCaptcha or advanced Captcha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Those Spambots are just annoying, on my forums I delete about 10-15 users per day, they know how to hack MyBB's default captcha system...

MyBB 2.0 should include reCaptcha or an advanced Captcha system

Thoughts?
I have good luck with the reCaptcha II plugin
(2011-07-29, 12:38 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]Those Spambots are just annoying, on my forums I delete about 10-15 users per day, they know how to hack MyBB's default captcha system...

MyBB 2.0 should include reCaptcha or an advanced Captcha system

Thoughts?

THIS x100

They have been hitting my site hard registering 25 accounts or so a day. Has been all out war the past few days. I have gone as far as banning whole countries and no i don't care as my site is about weather in this country and thus has little relevance to the others. Most of them appear to be from Russia and Asian countries. I have as well banned all free email accounts as well.
I have reCaptcha installed and still get 2,3 bot per day. But after i installed the Security question plugin i get none Big Grin
So for 2.0 we need something stronger/smarter then reCaptcha
I also get a lot of spam bots, they are able to bypass the MyBB captcha very easy.. however, when I installed the security question plugin, I got none. Wink
So the security question should be a built-in feature? Because those spambots just know how to deal with captchas!
Security question seems simpler but it stops spambots way better than any captcha.

Also, it's easier to change questions than change a captcha system, in case spambots figure out how to register.

A more "advanced captcha" is likely to make visitors register less on the forum. Sometimes the images are just unreadable.

My vote is for security question to be a built-in feature in MyBB 2.0 Smile

Ideas can be taken from this plugin.
The majority aren't spam bots. They're humans paid to spam.
(2011-07-29, 07:14 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]The majority aren't spam bots. They're humans paid to spam.

Captcha and security question are not meant to stop people paid to spam. They are meant to stop spambots, regardless of them being "majority" or not.
(2011-07-29, 08:05 PM)EviLito Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-29, 07:14 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]The majority aren't spam bots. They're humans paid to spam.

Captcha and security question are not meant to stop people paid to spam. They are meant to stop spambots, regardless of them being "majority" or not.

Exactly my point.
Pages: 1 2 3