MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dealing with Spammers - How to?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been hit recently by a lot of spammers - so have installed quite a few preventative measures to stop them.

But I was wondering if I am dealing with the ones which get through correctly?

I just give them a permanent ban - but they show up in the Birthday List and on the Calendar for birthdays - and it doesn't look too good, especially as I had 35 spammers yesterday - all with the birthday of today.

I Could delete them, but then they are not banned.... it would be good if there was a Delete and Ban button, deletes user, bans IP & email (or something like that.)

Or maybe I'm going about it all wrong.

How do you deal with spammers?
You can always just delete the user and ban that user's IP/e-mail, both of which are available options.
ZB Block
CloudFlare
the many anti-spam measures featured in the forums
.htaccess blocks
(2011-07-29, 03:15 AM)Vocaloid Wrote: [ -> ]You can always just delete the user and ban that user's IP/e-mail, both of which are available options.

Has been a huge pain ( getting hit with 25 or so a day ) but that is what i have been doing. I am even going so far as to ban whole IP ranges ( in foreign countries like Russia/China ) as that is where all of it has been coming from and my site is US/North America based. Also done away with the likes of gmail etc. Thus they have to register using whatever their ISP gave them or they can use their workplace email addy IF it is related to the subject matter which in my case is the weather. Have a few who work for the National weather service and they registered using their NOAA email addy. They can use their school or whatever as well if they are in school. Other then that they have to contact me via email.
I had problems at starting too.

You won't believe but now there are none also the fact that they don't require email activation at my forum. Neither I have any spam stop plugin.

I've incorporated very simple and intelligent way.

I use plugin to stop posting clickable links until user achieves certain posts, lets say 2 posts, all spammers mostly start spamming their links from very first post, this plugin won't let them post and as a result no more spam threads. Wink
Check the birthday list from MYBB, I think this say enough, at this moment there is no good working sollution.
And in Admin panel I cannot even sort users by registration date.
So banning of those fake accounts is not really an option.

I wonder what are they doing and when are they gonna start posting.
I give you a idea
Go to Admin CP > Configuration > Settings > Forum Home Options > Show Today's Birthdays > No > Save Settings
Done
(2011-07-29, 07:45 AM)Thorondor Wrote: [ -> ]And in Admin panel I cannot even sort users by registration date.
So banning of those fake accounts is not really an option.

I wonder what are they doing and when are they gonna start posting.

Of course you can do that, I do it also and I also set it to default view of the user list in admin panel. All you have to do is to create your own view. You select the colums and sorting by yoursef when creating a new view. And you can decide if the view is just for you or also for other admins.
Open two sections of your forum
1. admin section - users
2. normal forum - memberlist

The member list you can order by registrationdate.

With opening two section you can switch easy.
Pages: 1 2 3