MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I wanted to be a programmer, but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, i am turning 18 in 2 weeks.

You see, i don't want to work, at all. I'd rather just sit and do nothing like i always have, but that can't happen all the time.

So i wanted to do something with what i know, the problem is that i don't know that much. I wanted to code some kind of C program, but it's not like i know any C but moreover i just dont have any ideas.

In america, most people work behind desks, here, it's almost always physical labor and quite heavy stuff.

I'd rather not be be doing physical labor, nor sit behind a desk, i'd rather work from home.
But i should have learned a language waay earlier, now it's quite impossible for me as nothing gets in my head. My PHP isn't that good either, as recently when i tried coding a script which sounded simple, i failed horribly.
My HTML is even worse, as for CSS...i fail there even more.

I fear it could be that i have ADHD(without the hyperactivity part, im very lazy actually) that i can't learn a damn thing.

Advice?
PHP is easy to learn, you just need to remember basic functions and the syntax and you can expand from there.

I'm not going to say you'll learn it overnight, but the more you use it, the more comfortable you'll become with creating web applications.

But if you don't try, you won't get anywhere.
I used it since 2007, not untill 2009 did i grasp a little bit more some of the things. But lately, since i havent used it, i became very rusty that i forgot how to use some basic functions.
I'd advise learning vb.NET, because it has a very formal language. A lot of it is based around normal languages, Inc stead of complex syntax languages. For example, you don't need to remember to terminate lines with a semi-colon.

Also the iteration loops and such are easy to understand. That is why many schools teach it to pupils who have never programmed before Smile
(2011-07-29, 05:55 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I'd advise learning vb.NET, because it has a very formal language. A lot of it is based around normal languages, Inc stead of complex syntax languages. For example, you don't need to remember to terminate lines with a semi-colon.

Also the iteration loops and such are easy to understand. That is why many schools teach it to pupils who have never programmed before Smile

Personally...I don't find that such a good recommendation.

If you want to learn C, get a C book and read it (you should go with C++ anyway but that's your call).
If you want to learn PHP, get a PHP book and read it.

Why start on something simpler? To forget it one day later? Because vb.NET is useless once you know C++ (which can then be applied on Visual C++).

HTML is not even a programming language, neither is CSS. You don't need to learn them like you do when you learn programming languages. You learn it as you need it, if you need it. Once you got the basics, you got everything already.
Quote:HTML is not even a programming language, neither is CSS.

+1

Start with PHP (if you are interested) its the easiest imho
To get started with PHP it's good to have basic knowledge of HTML.
(2011-07-29, 07:54 PM)Jitendra M Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:HTML is not even a programming language, neither is CSS.

+1

Start with PHP (if you are interested) its the easiest imho

(2011-07-29, 07:50 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-29, 05:55 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I'd advise learning vb.NET, because it has a very formal language. A lot of it is based around normal languages, Inc stead of complex syntax languages. For example, you don't need to remember to terminate lines with a semi-colon.

Personally...I don't find that such a good recommendation.

If you want to learn C, get a C book and read it (you should go with C++ anyway but that's your call).
If you want to learn PHP, get a PHP book and read it.

Why start on something simpler? To forget it one day later? Because vb.NET is useless once you know C++ (which can then be applied on Visual C++).

HTML is not even a programming language, neither is CSS. You don't need to learn them like you do when you learn programming languages. You learn it as you need it, if you need it. Once you got the basics, you got everything already.

Yes, but C++ and C have syntax similar to that of PHP, as it is non-English. It is a very daunting language to learn with all these words like static and void. Yes, once you get to grips with syntax and the logical thinking that comes with programming, you can move to something like C++, but it's not the best to start on if he can't learn PHP very well.

Some people just don't pick up languages very quickly, and learning a new language (especially one that is Not based on keywords that have some meaning in English) throws hundreds of new words at you.

Example, which of these is easier to understand:

For loop in C:

for(i = 0; i < max;i++){
 printf("%d\n",i);
 }

For loop in vb.NET:
For var as integer = 0 to 10
console.writeline(var)
Next
in vb.NET, it translates to
"for var (which is an integer, that increases by 1 every time the loop runs) which begins at 0 and stops at 10, write out the number held in var to the console (the type of application written) then move to the next repetition of the loop"
After learning that and switching to C++, the learning curve is basic the same as it would be if you had not learnt vb.NET in my opinion. That's like writing English with bad grammar.
What he must understand is the logic of a programming language and usually a good C++ book explains that.
To be honest, I have no problem with learning something like C++ straight off the bat, because I learned PHP first, but many schools in the UK teach languages like vb.NET in favour of languages like C, java etc because it's easier for first time programmers to understand.

If you persevere and get some good tutorials/books you can easily learn most languages. It just depends in how much time you have to devote to it, and how easy you find it. After all, some people are just really bad at learning languages. In my A-level class I was easily the best programmer, as I had prior experience in programming and was programming complex stuff using threads, RegEx, cryptography etc, and others were bearly writing a functioning program that took input and then outputted it after some string manipulation Smile yet we all had the same teaching (apart from me, who had to find other stuff to keep me occupied Toungue)
Pages: 1 2