MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to use properly facebook tags on mybb?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I added the facebook tags to the header include template, and now when the main page is posted all goes fine, but the threads are shown in the same way in facebook. believe I would have to insert them only on the main page, and not on the thread pages, how can I do that?
Instead of putting the Facebook tags in the header include template, place them in the index template.
Thanks for that, it got much better now. But how can I get the description tag to be the first post or the first 300 characters of it so that it will be extracted for the facebook post?
(2011-07-31, 08:04 PM)echofloripa Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that, it got much better now. But how can I get the description tag to be the first post or the first 300 characters of it so that it will be extracted for the facebook post?

That probably requires a plugin.
(2011-07-31, 08:33 PM)Camgaertner Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-31, 08:04 PM)echofloripa Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that, it got much better now. But how can I get the description tag to be the first post or the first 300 characters of it so that it will be extracted for the facebook post?

Isn't it possible to add some php code to the template to extract a piece of the first thread post and add it to the meta description tag?
(2011-07-31, 09:20 PM)echofloripa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-31, 08:33 PM)Camgaertner Wrote: [ -> ]

Isn't it possible to add some php code to the template to extract a piece of the first thread post and add it to the meta description tag?
Yes, with a plugin Toungue
you cant use PHP code directly to the template right?

Could someone help me with this, I this this is one of the most basic needs in SEO, and preferably should be implementend natively in mybb.
Are you looking for Open Graph Meta Tags from Facebook? There's a very good plugin for that already Smile.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/facebook-open-graph-meta-tags
Thanks AW, do you know if the plugin also adds the meta description to be used with google?