MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Course
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Need help in choosing course, I'm having an exam in August or not sure. I'm choosing between comp eng or comp prog(not sure if that's right)
I want to fix my own computer software or hardware and help to get job for that but it seems to be hard?
Your only choices are Computer Engineering and Computer Programming? Well I'm assuming Computer Engineering is Hardware and Computer Programming is Software. Everybody and their brother can work on computer hardware so go with the software side. Software devs make big bucks in corporate IT (might I suggest focusing on QA, a great skillset to have since most don't focus on it).
If I was like you I would definitely choose Software Engineering (i.e. Computer Programming). But I think it depends upon the country you belong. e.g. In India, Computer Programming is flourished.
If you're in highschool, those courses don't generally cover pcs at all really.
Software engineering. Much more money in it. Even if you don't get a full time job straight away you can do some freelancing Smile If you want some kind of extra qualification in hardware, go for CompTIA A+ or One of the Cisco qualifications.
Joe letme tell you that its always essential and best to get an engineering degree rather than an ordinary programming degree.

Now a days all the corporate sector companies like microsoft,google,CSC,and in india like TATA- tcs,infosys are gaints in it industry and they offer maximum pay to the ones who get their engineering.

I dont knkw things in phillipines,but here in india,we have many branches in engineering pertaining to computers.
Of which computer science with Information technology and another course called IT are in full sway.

Here engineering course is of 4 year duration and 59/60 get an opportunity in any company.
All my friends and cousins are engineering and they completed their btech degree and now are getting paid of more than $3000-5000,and placed in top reputed companies.

So my suggestion is to get a degree that is engineering related,unlike ordinary degrees Smile

Wish u all the best for your career.
Choose wisely Smile

If you wanna know more about engineering and opportunities just come to chat i will introduce to my cousins and friends,they will clarify your doubts .

It all depends on the country I guess. A degree in computer hardware in my area (Tampa, FL) is pretty much a waste of time and the only reason it will help you at all is because you have a piece of paper saying you're willing to spend 2 years doing something without quitting.

It takes you $200 to get your CompTIA A+ certificate which is more than enough to get any type of computer repair job. In my experience a degree means VERY LITTLE in the real world.

In order of importance:
Experience > Knowledge > Degree/Certificates

A degree will get you an interview but experience will get you a job.
(2011-07-31, 12:46 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]In order of importance:
Experience > Knowledge > Degree/Certificates

A degree will get you an interview but experience will get you a job.
But then you have a catch 22 - you can't get experience without a job, and you can't get a job without experience.
People tell me that a lot but I've found a loophole to that argument: internships Wink

I started off as an intern with a high school diploma making $10/hour, sure the pay sucked but I was living with my parents so it was worth it. I worked as an intern for 6 months before getting the job I'm currently in now (HP NonStop System Operator) which I've been in for 5 years. Next month I start my new job (same company, different department) as a Server Tech I (we have over 1500 servers over 3 data centers). Funny enough the department I'm moving to is the same department I started off at as an intern. Smile
Computer science will cover both aspects nicely. It'll also help you decide which one you want to do (as a second degree).
Pages: 1 2 3