MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error on Running Installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have recently been interested in using MYBB as my forum software for my website. I had uploaded all files needed to my web server and i had CHMODDED the correct files which are needed to run the installation.

Once i connect to my website at www.mmogamer.co.uk , straight away i get an error of:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /var/www/vhosts/mmogamer.co.uk/httpdocs/inc/class_error.php on line 51

Any ideas?

Would love the help.
MyBB requires PHP 5.1+ but it seems your host only has PHP 4.4, which is very old and a lot of software won't work on it. You'll need to ask them to upgrade it, or move to a proper host that offers modern versions of PHP.
Starting with MyBB 1.6 and onwards, the minimum requirement for PHP is PHP 5.1.0 or newer. We are glad to make this leap forward from PHP 4 and being able to take advantage of the new features of PHP 5 that we were not able to use with PHP 4 compatibility. Remember to check with your host, before upgrading to MyBB 1.6!

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/1.6.0#New...equirement

/ninja'd
Ah. Currently cant upgrade.

Is there any other Mybb version which runs with php lower than 5.1?

thanks
That would be MyBB 1.4. But we don't support 1.4 anymore, so if you install it you're on your own.

You should seriously consider switching web hosts though.
There are loads of hosts that run PHP 5.1, it's pretty standard these days. I hope you haven't paid for this hosting, bad luck if you have. Basically it's like running Windows XP instead of Windows 7, may physically work, but the latter is much better and is much more supported, and you wouldn't buy an XP computer these days.
Ok.

If i install MyBB 1.4 for now, and install everything i need and create the forum how i like.

Could i then update to the newest version at a later date and still keep all the information? Is it a pain to upgrade or simply easy?

Thanks
(2011-08-01, 06:44 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]There are loads of hosts that run PHP 5.1, it's pretty standard these days. I hope you haven't paid for this hosting, bad luck if you have. Basically it's like running Windows XP instead of Windows 7, may physically work, but the latter is much better and is much more supported, and you wouldn't buy an XP computer these days.
Sorry for the off-topic but Windows XP is still supported. 2000 ain't so I can say its like buying a computer with 2000 instead of XP or Windows 7.

Also PHP 5.1 isn't ok either. It went EOL many time ago. Even 5.2 did, but given compatibility reasons many hosts still use php 5.2.

(2011-08-03, 11:28 PM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.

If i install MyBB 1.4 for now, and install everything i need and create the forum how i like.

Could i then update to the newest version at a later date and still keep all the information? Is it a pain to upgrade or simply easy?

Thanks
Yes. Upgrades in MyBB are as easy as uploading files and running the upgrader.
Great.

Do you think its worth running on MyBB 1.4 for now, next week i am getting a server upgrade.

Is there much differences between MyBB 1.4 and the newest version ?
Once i install MyBB 1.4, and i access the admin panel the Admin control panel is completely messed up and text does not display,:

[Image: 11111wx.jpg]

Would appreciate it if you could answer both of my questions on this and the previous post.

thanks
(2011-08-03, 11:37 PM)NewEraCracker Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the off-topic but Windows XP is still supported. 2000 ain't so I can say its like buying a computer with 2000 instead of XP or Windows 7.
It was just a lose analogy... Undecided Using old software when much better and newer software is readily available.

(2011-08-03, 11:37 PM)NewEraCracker Wrote: [ -> ]Also PHP 5.1 isn't ok either. It went EOL many time ago. Even 5.2 did, but given compatibility reasons many hosts still use php 5.2.
It's merely a minimum requirement, obviously the newer the version your host runs, the better.

(2011-08-04, 12:37 AM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think its worth running on MyBB 1.4 for now, next week i am getting a server upgrade.

Is there much differences between MyBB 1.4 and the newest version ?
If you want, but you could just save yourself the hassle and find a host that runs modern software. Who knows how old and insecure other software on the server is... upgrading is simple but using old software until your server gets updated is a pretty long winded solution.

(2011-08-04, 12:37 AM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]Once i install MyBB 1.4, and i access the admin panel the Admin control panel is completely messed up and text does not display
Make sure ./inc/languages/english/admin/ is CHMOD to 755, that all the files that should be in there are uploaded, and that they are CHMODd to 644 or 666.
Pages: 1 2