MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Administrator Activation option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. I'm using MyBB 1.64. In the user registration options, when I chose "Administrator Activation" for the config on user registrations, and I test it using a test account, the forum blows up. It throws an error and resets the connection. Not only that, but it automatically activates the user with no other verification. Which files/areas/configs can I check to try and fix this problem? I don't even know where to begin looking. Perhaps there is a file corrupted/missing or I have a setting goofed up somewhere.

The email activation option works just fine, and has been the method I've been using for about a year and a half. I'd like to resort to admin activated user accounts because of spam registers. Thanks in advance.
If you're getting spam I recommend you use a plugin to prevent that. Just because it can annoy new members if you have admin activation on. Just my two cents on the matter anyway.
(2011-08-03, 01:09 AM)fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]If you're getting spam I recommend you use a plugin to prevent that. Just because it can annoy new members if you have admin activation on. Just my two cents on the matter anyway.

I agree, but at this point I don't really know how else to deal with this specific problem.

It started with people registering, but never activating the accounts likely due to bogus email addresses. Now, these users are registering and following through with the Captcha activation process. Most accounts just sit there but some are being used to post junk messages with links. Banning IPs or domains is useless because it doesn't slow them down. I let it go for a couple of hours the other day and had 32 new registered users that were logged in for one minute.

If spam were the only problem, perhaps I would try that. At this point however, I'd like to use the admin activation option. It's supposed to work properly anyway. Big Grin

They're spam bots Smile Hence why I suggested using plugins.
Ok, I'll try a dang plugin or two. Toungue

In the meantime, does anyone know how to fix the problem that I'm having with the admin register approval feature?
Well it's better than having emails and other stuff like this about people whining that their accounts are being approved. You would lose 9/10 of new registrations as people just do not like having to wait for their account to say hello to them.

Not sure on the error though. Sorry!
Ok. It's actually not just the Admin activation option - it's all of the options. So now when anyone tries to register the forum throws an error. I've tried multiple test accounts and I can't register any of them. I fill out the screen and click submit and get an error. Then I get a "connection was reset" error. Help! Where should I look first?