MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok.

I disabled each plugin one at a time and the problem remained. My next step is going to be looking at the possibility of two plugins causing the problem. (Two plugins causing the exact same problem separately is pretty remote though). I'll try manually disabling them all at the same time next and see what that does.

I just can't work on this anymore tonight. I had no idea how long it was going to take to disable each plugin individually and create a test account with each one. I think with the information that you've given me I'll eventually figure it out. Disabling all of these plugins tonight also uncovered another problem that I'm going to have to start another thread on after I figure this out. Then MAYBE I can try going to 1.6.4 again. 1.6.5 will probably be out by then.
UPDATE - It's Google SEO (1.1.13)

I thought I had deactivated it yesterday, but I then remembered NOT doing it. That's the first thing I did today and that solved the problem. With Google SEO disabled, after the user registers the screen now displays the proper info on activation instructions.

So now the question is - what in the heck does Google SEO have to do with user registrations I wonder? I really hate to do without Google SEO. Where can I go to look for what this plugin might be doing to screw up my registration screen?
UPDATE again - Whoa guys - not so many suggestions at once. Phew.

Anyway, I figured it out. Specifically, it's the Google SEO 404 module that causes it. Because I don't understand the way MyBB works, my understanding of the problem seems to be related to how MyBB error messages are handled apparently, errors aren't the only messages that are initiated through MyBB's error handling. When the user successfully registers, MyBB's error system throws the "Thank you for registering on ...." which Google SEO takes as a 404 then doesn't know what to do with it. At least in my case anyway, I get a blank screen or a timeout error.

I found the clue on this page - http://community.mybb.com/thread-46423-p...#pid553526 at the top of the page. Frostschutz explains it as nothing can be done about it. Reading further, it appears that a new version is soon to be released, so maybe there has been a solution developed. I disabled the 404 module on my forum and the registration process now works as it should.

Do more people not have this same problem, or is it possible that people aren't aware of it? I know that this is perhaps the most widely used plugin available, so I can't be the only one.
I am glad you got to the bottom of the problem, however, this is the first time I have heard that plugin causing a timeout or a blank page. According to the post you linked to, after registering you should see a success message with a search box at the bottom, the same kind that googleseo shows on 404 pages but it does not cause blank pages or timeouts.

It is possible that the plugin is not properly installed on your system. I would try reinstalling the plugin, making sure you follow the instructions and especially making sure you're using the right functions.php file from the plugin. Also check the htaccess to make sure its all right.
Thanks. The changes I made are allowing the correct screen to appear, but I'm not sure that I actually "solved" the problem.

[Image: mybberror.jpg]

Is it normal for the end of registration screen to indicate that there is an error? As you can see, at the end of the breadcrumbs or whatever else you call those links that show you where you are on the forum, it's indicating some sort of error. What else is going on here I wonder?
(2011-08-09, 12:51 AM)moze229 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. The changes I made are allowing the correct screen to appear, but I'm not sure that I actually "solved" the problem.

[Image: mybberror.jpg]

Is it normal for the end of registration screen to indicate that there is an error? As you can see, at the end of the breadcrumbs or whatever else you call those links that show you where you are on the forum, it's indicating some sort of error. What else is going on here I wonder?

Thats interesting. Is that with the plugin enabled? I tested on a local board with the latest mybb and nothing else and it shows Board Message instead of error.
Also, which language pack are you using?
Hi -G33K-,

This is with the plugin enabled, but the 404 module disabled. Enabling the 404 module in Google SEO prevents this page from rendering at all. I need to disable the entire Google SEO plugin again and see what happens on this screen.

Quote:Thats interesting. Is that with the plugin enabled? I tested on a local board with the latest mybb and nothing else and it shows Board Message instead of error.

Thanks for that info - I was wondering what it was supposed to say there. Smile

I'm using the standard language pack. (English 1601)

Thanks for your input.
FYI - I disabled the Google SEO plugin altogether and I still get an error indication at the same location. Hmmmm.....
Just an update - I have finally taken the time to get 1.6.4 installed and in the meantime, a new version of Google SEO was released. I upgraded to 1.6.4 and the new Google SEO and now everything works as it should EXCEPT I'm still getting the "error" indication in the breadcrumb links at the end. I'm not really sure why, and at this point I'm not really sure that I care. As long as the registration screen comes up as it's supposed to while all of the Google SEO features are working - that's all that matters.

I'm still open to any ideas here as I tend to be one of those people that don't like to leave things broken, even if they are working well enough to "get by". I've accepted the fact that since no one else seems to be having this problem, it must be a change somewhere that I made - alone in the world and unique from any of the other thousands of people who use MyBB. I'm still destined to fix it, but it may be MyBB 2.0 that ends up fixing it. Who knows?

Thanks for the views, comments, and ideas.
Pages: 1 2