MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum email "Sent From" sometimes empty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've two MyBB forums while the second one is the replica of first - only that I changed it's settings later to make another forum.

My problem is that emails sent from forum like notifications sometimes contain empty "sent from" and gmail shows it as "Unknown sender".
I'm attaching the outlook screen shot of two mails I've received from my forum: http://forum.indiaconsumercomplaints.org .

Mine is shared hosting with HostGator and I've another two forums with PHPBB software but there is no problem with email in them.
I've another 10 sites in Drupal+Joomla with no email problems whatsoever.

Last month too I did exhaustive search in internet about this issue without any solution.

Can anybody help me with this?
Do you use php mail or smtp for the mybb mail? You can check this in Admincp >> Settings >> Mail Settings.

Also do you have anythins set for admin email and return email in Admincp >> General Configuration?
If you do, are those emails valid?

It is all defaults( php mail). If something was wrong in the configuration all emails should have same problem. But in my case 50% of email don't contain "Sent From" and seems to be random behavior.
If it is random and you agree that a configuration issue in the board can not cause this then it is logical that its nothing in the code that would be causing this. This leaves your host/server and their configuration. If you have access to the server logs then you could trace a particular email that came in without a sender and see where it looses its sender field.
Ok if I change any email settings do I need to clear any cache?
I've attached the screen capture of my settings and the mails do exist.
(2011-08-05, 09:46 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]If it is random and you agree that a configuration issue in the board can not cause this then it is logical that its nothing in the code that would be causing this. This leaves your host/server and their configuration. If you have access to the server logs then you could trace a particular email that came in without a sender and see where it looses its sender field.

Sorry for wrong diagnosis. All new registration mails have "Sent from" correctly filled up but all notification reply email have it empty.
I've changed the settings to SMTP too, but same result.
I'll have to test this out and see if I can reproduce it. I don't remember having this problem but I use smtp most of the time so I'll need to test it on php.
I'm going to test it on my localhost and report back here.
Hi G33K as I gave some wrong diagnosis and inputs here which could cause confusion to readers, so I've created a new thread with full details of this same problem at http://community.mybb.com/thread-105352.html
I was thinking that I corrected it till when I recently saw in gmail web interface which still shows "unknown sender" problem.

Thanks in advance.