MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Use parts of installation elsewhere
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Firstly, I'm sure this is said far too unoften, but I'm not sure if this is the right place. To me, though, it seems the most appropriate place to be.

Right, to the point. I will be releasing a website, partly using MyBB, and one of the requested features is to have a "user-website" (simply put, that is). While coding and automating it will be of no issue to me (Again - messing with PHP is NOT an issue - I'm well acquainted with the MyBB structure, and with php as a language), my question would be if I can to-say "host part of the forum on another website".

Let's say, my public forums look like this:

Public Category
  • Public Forum
Hidden / Private Category
  • Private 1
  • Private 2

My issue now is to have that "Private 1" forum acting as it's own forum from another part of the website. That is, if the main content is on /forum/, the Private 1 should be accessible from /xxx/forum/, and Private two from /yyy/forum.

Hope that's clear, a little complicated. I was thinking of using iFrames, but I dislike them for maaaany reasons.
Quote:My issue now is to have that "Private 1" forum acting as it's own forum from another part of the website. That is, if the main content is on /forum/, the Private 1 should be accessible from /xxx/forum/, and Private two from /yyy/forum.
What I understood was you wanted to host more than one forum on your website, but each being different from each other? So like different SQL database?
(2011-08-04, 07:25 PM)Peter Chao Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:My issue now is to have that "Private 1" forum acting as it's own forum from another part of the website. That is, if the main content is on /forum/, the Private 1 should be accessible from /xxx/forum/, and Private two from /yyy/forum.
What I understood was you wanted to host more than one forum on your website, but each being different from each other? So like different SQL database?

The all work with the same database, and all are "hosted" on the same directory.

However, when visiting another part of the website, the SAME copy of Mybb opens up, but only limited to the one forum (Or, even if it starts at the desired location). This would be like for example visiting:

http://community.mybb.com/release/1.6/forum

which would present you with:

http://community.mybb.com/forum-124.html
do you want full forum functionality in the "user site" or just basic single users pages for each user?
Full forum functionality should be there. Viewing, posting, editing, and all that stuff~
you can make custom htaccess edits to do that, but do you want the hidden forums to be hidden on the main page but to be publicly visible when in the user setting?

no matter you do, without a plugin similar to what I am building for having forums based on subdomains, the search and other areas of the forum will still show all the forums.
(2011-08-04, 08:41 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]you can make custom htaccess edits to do that, but do you want the hidden forums to be hidden on the main page but to be publicly visible when in the user setting?

no matter you do, without a plugin similar to what I am building for having forums based on subdomains, the search and other areas of the forum will still show all the forums.

Would you explain the htaccess method you had in mind?

The latter isn't important, user groups will stop players from sneaking into what they shouldn't.
it would have to be something like the following. I am not sure if this actually works as I have not tested it.

plus unless you make the custom path something that can be reused (used as a wildcard/regex) then you have to create these records for each custom forum

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteRule ^release/1.6/forum$ forum-124.html [L,QSA]
</IfModule>