MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Increase PHP Memory ---- Noob Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wondering if someone can tell what file of the MYBB files I need to edit to increase the php memory limit up from 64M to something like 128M or 192M.

Is this something I can do within the MYBB files? Or is this something I have to do on my server side?

TY ahead of time for the help!
This has to be done server side with your php install, it has nothing to do with MyBB.
edit this in your php.ini file you should ask your host if you don't have control over this.
You need to modify php.ini file. Find,

memory_limit = 64M

Replace 64 with whatever you like.
If you can't access php.ini, ask your host.
Why would you need to? I run HF with 64M and realistically could run with 32M.
My forum had several thousand sub-forums and it kept giving me the error of php memory limit being reached. I wasn't sure if it was from having so many sub-forums, or some plugins, or if I had an SQL injection attack or something. Again, I am a newb. So I just wanted to know how I could increase it to figure out what the problem was.
Answer is to use a better forum structure. Do you really need thousands of forums?? Does every single one of them have a lot of posts in?? Most of the time people have hundreds or thousands of forums, 95% of them have 0 posts at all, at best. Ultimately when you're asking it to manage that many forums you're asking it to do quite a bit of work. If you're on shared hosting it's unlikely you'll be able to increase your memory limit as not many shared hosts would let you do it, otherwise you could just set things to whatever you wanted.
I'm on shared hosting but customer support told me I can raise it up to a maximum of 192m with a php.ini file. Unfortunately I'm too newb to figure out how to add a php.ini file so that it increases the mybb php memory limit.