MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ugh!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm really confused and don't have any idea of what the heck I'm doing! It seems as if all I'm doing is pressing buttons on the cpanel for fun! On the install it keeps on saying...

The configuration file (inc/config.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The settings file (inc/settings.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The uploads directory (uploads/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

-
I don't know how to fix this and I've had other people hwo have knowledge in this area do it and they can't get it either. I don't know a thing about this so instructions would just confuse me more. If anyone would be nice enough to do it just send me a pm and ill give you detaisl...
I don't see it at all! There's files but I don't see the forum one! I'm so confused and don't know how to do any of this. This is the 1st time I've done anything server/host/database w/e you call it related and don't know what any of this means.
So you have found the file management section and you are looking at a list of files. All the files the public can are in a folder called public_html, www or similar. Look for one of those.
Now it says forbidden...ok now i reall screwed it up.
Don't panic. Just tell us what you just clicked and what is saying forbidden.
I changed public_html to 666 and then when I went to the install it says....

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /discussion/install/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.upserveextreme.net Port 80
Please reverse your changes. You have to chmod the files inc/config.php and inc/settings.php to 666 (try 755 or 777 if it does not work) and the folders uploads and uploads/avatars/ to 777.
Quote:I'm really confused and don't have any idea of what the heck I'm doing! It seems as if all I'm doing is pressing buttons on the cpanel for fun! On the install it keeps on saying...

The configuration file (inc/config.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The settings file (inc/settings.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The uploads directory (uploads/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

All these files and directories, should be chmoded to 777, not 666.

Regards
I did. I think. I don't even know what the heck I'm doing...I don't know what any of this crap means. Like I said, this is the 1st time I have done anything like this and it's not making sense to me at all. I can't do this so I give up because I'm trying but it won't work and it's making me really pissed off.
Pages: 1 2 3