MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, you don't have to write individual redirects for each thread. That would be kind of silly.

And whether Google SEO does the redirect itself, or you extract the necessary code from Google SEO into a standalone script, that's an implementation detail that doesn't matter whatsoever as long as it works.

What you definitely need to keep, is the mybb_google_seo table which holds the title<->id relation. Without it, your only alternative to make redirects would be to search your threads table for similar looking subjects...

I'm really not sure what you're worrying about / what your issue with "keeping Google SEO installed" is... if you use a third party script instead, it's more likely to have errors than the original code.
Okay Frostschutz,

Thanks for your reply. I hope when 2.0 comes around, that you find the time to write something like this that would work. It's well beyond me. Many people will be stuck in a similar situation when 2.0 does finally roll around. I know you're under no obligation to do so, but it would be a great gesture.

Thanks again for your plugin and taking the time to reply. Regards.
I don't have to find time to write anything, as it's already written and was so from the very beginning, as I already tried to explain. There's a huge effort in Google SEO to not break URLs and not force you to keep using its URLs. There's always a way out and has been there from the very beginning.
I mean...Google SEO or a standalone script to work with MyBB 2.0...As we see now many plugins are broken even going from 1.6 to 1.8.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. I thought you had just said Google SEO or a standalone script would be required.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to fully understand.
Just because you decide to switch away from MyBB (to, say, phpBB, SMF, XenForo or MyBB2), doesn't mean you have to uninstall MyBB. This isn't Star Trek, where for some strange reason everytime you teleport, it creates a perfect copy of you in a remote location and kills your original. In the digital world, you get to keep the original and however many copies you want. Unless you're running out of disk space.

So it's entirely possible, to have a new entirely different forum software, but also the old one just for the redirects. Or for checking what things are actually supposed to look like when you notice conversion errors weeks later. Which usually almost always happens.

Quote:I'm not trying to be difficult.

You're trying to launch the boat before the ground is wet.

One way or another, redirecting Google SEO URLs won't be the problem.

EDIT:

Oh, last but not least, I'd like to point out that Google SEO also kind of supports the URL scheme that the MyBB team has announced for MyBB 2. So if you want a silly . followed by an even sillier random number in your URLs, you can already do so! And, supposing that MyBB team won't change their minds (which, I'd personally wouldn't be willing to bet on), you'd not even have to redirect at all. Good luck with that!
It's pretty set in stone that the above URL scheme will be used. It was originally just going to be the thread title, but looking up by ID is far easier (and quicker on the database side). Really, the URL structure does very little in terms of SEO - it's more of a benefit to users.

And on the point of redirecting once 2.0 comes out, the easiest solution would likely be a single script. So long as the DB table still exists, it should be easy to redirect Smile
Okay. Thank you Euan for your clear answer. I'm hoping someone can help write a script to help with this when 2.0 does arrive.
I am testing Google SEO after upgrading MyBB from 1.6.x to 1.8.4 (localhost), default theme

My observationis, 50% of the Google SEO URLs are showing page not found error if I click on a link on another page or try to access it from the browser directly. Same page will become visible after searching using mybb search page and click on the URL. How to fix this?
Please help
Same here, traffic is decreased by 50% and one more problem, check this thread have no search engine friendly urls: www.worldofdth.com/thread---15135
I have added the degree symbol to the Punctuation characters area on plugin settings but it's still not working there. Please help.
(2015-03-23, 09:44 AM)saini1987 Wrote: [ -> ]Same here, traffic is decreased by 50% and one more problem, check this thread have no search engine friendly urls: www.worldofdth.com/thread---15135
I have added the degree symbol to the Punctuation characters area on plugin settings but it's still not working there. Please help.

Do you see any Google SEO notes in the ACP plugin area?