MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO 1.6.8 [EOL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-04-11, 04:35 PM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]The functions.php doesn't work with 1.6.9 of MYBB. That's why, I can't use SEO Url.

[OOT]
sorry my bad english
it's not the word "sailakan" but "silakan" which means "please"
[Back to topics]
you can see the reply from the owner of Google SEO plugin
that has nothing to do with functions.php Toungue
Well, OK. I'm sure that I installed the plugin correctly. All fuctions are working, except SEO Url.
frostschutz : can you help me to create a new URLs
this post
http://community.mybb.com/thread-101262-...#pid981408

(2013-04-12, 05:53 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]Well, OK. I'm sure that I installed the plugin correctly. All fuctions are working, except SEO Url.

sure requirements for installing Google SEO
Frostschutz,

First I'd like to thank you for making such a high quality plugin, cos it's awesome! Big Grin

I just wanted to share an idea I was discussing with the mod team at my forum.

Quote:I've looked at the seo url code and I think I can manipulate the urls generated such that forum id is included.

eg: /forum/f-{$forum_id}/Thread-Forum-Search-Function?pid=290040#pid290040

It would be coded such that the link works with or without the "/f-{$forum_id}" so old posts with internal links still work.

Then it's a matter of waiting a few days for Google to update its site index, and viola!
We have forum specific search capability via Google.

No more bogging down our server!

Do you think thats a feature worth building into your plugin?
(2013-04-14, 02:48 PM)DeepThought Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think thats a feature worth building into your plugin?

It would require a bunch of changes to do it properly. And it still leaves the problem that MyBB just doesn't handle virtual directory structures particularly well. So... feel free to create an issue on GitHub, but don't expect anything particularly soon.
(2013-04-14, 03:09 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-14, 02:48 PM)DeepThought Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think thats a feature worth building into your plugin?

It would require a bunch of changes to do it properly. And it still leaves the problem that MyBB just doesn't handle virtual directory structures particularly well. So... feel free to create an issue on GitHub, but don't expect anything particularly soon.

Is it possible to circumvent MyBB's virtual directory issues with mod-rewrite functionality in .htaccess?
It could be hidden so MyBB is none the wiser. In this case it's what Google sees that matters.

The regex would be something like \/fid-\d+(\/Thread.+)
(2013-04-14, 03:36 PM)DeepThought Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to circumvent MyBB's virtual directory issues with mod-rewrite functionality in .htaccess?

No. If the client (Google, your browser, ...) sees a directory structure, the client will try to find URLs relative to that directory. And interpret redirects relative to that directory. And MyBB just uses relatives everywhere. This isn't something you can fix with .htaccess - MyBB has to provide absolute links or somehow correct relative links for virtual subdirs somehow.

<base> works around some of these issues, but not redirects, and not necessarily JavaScript-related things. There you need code changes.

Best to avoid altogether.
I moved one of my forums from a shared host to a new unmanaged VPS... now all my friendly URLS are totally broken.. If I uninstall my version (1.6.3) and install this new version will it fix the problem?
You don't have to (and shouldn't) uninstall in order to update the plugin. Just deactivate/activate is sufficient. If you uninstall, you'll lose redirects for renamed forums/threads and such, as a fresh install won't be able to recreate those.

If your URLs don't work, but the status on the plugins page looks okay, it's usually because your rewrites don't work. So you have to fix your webserver/htaccess, not Google SEO itself.
Guys, I've been trying to get postfix URLs working for awhile and have had no luck.

I.e., instead of /Forums-forumtopic, my desired URL is /forumtopic-f .

FIRST (not postfix-related): for some reason, the "include parent forum in <whatever> URL" feature seems to be permanently on. I tried putting in {url} and leaving it blank (not sure which is preferred btw), and yet the parent URL text persists. I currently have these fields blank in Settings.

SECOND: I think my .htaccess rules are broken. I edited the rules in the default Google SEO htaccess to read like this. I freely admit that I am no regex pro. (Note: the text in Settings says I should add a new htaccess rule for my postfixation, but I merely modified the originals because I don't see how the original URL scheme would ever get hits.)

# Google SEO URL Forums:
RewriteRule ^([^-f/]+)-f$ forumdisplay.php?google_seo_forum=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

THIRD: I cheated a little. Big Grin I reasoned that I should be able to skip the postfix tag on one class of URL. Right? The tag prevents a forum from being confused as a thread, but if everything except threads has a tag, I should be able to leave the tag off the threads!
I want my thread URLs to be as clean as possible. So my .htaccess rule is different for threads. My entry for "Thread URL Scheme" in Settings is simply "{url}".

This is almost certainly broken because I don't know if these rules cascade, and my pattern probably matches anything with a slash.

# Google SEO URL Threads:
RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/$ showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

FOURTH: The site is using the URL "/forum?action=lastpost" for my thread. My entry for "Thread URL Scheme" in Settings is simply "{url}".

The test site is choosewhat period com fwdslash forums2 (I don't want anyone except you guys to see it).

BTW, this plugin rocks and is a big reason for me considering myBB.