MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL password for forum access
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a question. Was in urgent need a few minutes ago, but luckily my brain started working again.

If out of stupidity or ignorance, we change the password on our MySql database that is linked to mybb forum (because we can't remember the old one and forget that mybb has to access the database using the old password), is there anyway to look for the old password anywhere? I had a scare, since I did change it and was locked out of my forum because of it. Just wondering if there is a way to find the old password, in case I couldn't remember the old one??? Thanks! Big Grin
The old one should be in your config.php file, either on your server or hard drive if you have it backed up or didn't modify it.

Rest assured that if you cannot retrieve it, you can always change it in your server's control panel without needing to know it. Then, you can just edit the config.php file in the includes directory of MyBB and be on your way with the same database - not losing a thing, of course.

Good luck. Smile
Hmmm...if it's that easy, couldn't anyone that knows anything about mybb just get my config.php file and extract the password? Then they would have access to my database. Is this correct, Chris or any of the other developers? Thanks! Big Grin
judel Wrote:Hmmm...if it's that easy, couldn't anyone that knows anything about mybb just get my config.php file and extract the password? Then they would have access to my database. Is this correct, Chris or any of the other developers? Thanks! Big Grin
Yes they certainly could if they had your FTP password to retrieve the file with. Browsers cannot open PHP as it is a server side language and is used by the server only, so no one can see your config.php file without direct FTP access to the file.
I'm just learning about php, so I didn't know that! If that's true, then I'm glad! Thanks for the help.

Edit: Well, what do ya know! LOL...I just looked at the file and easily found my password. At least I now know if I do something this stupid again, I can easily change my password to match. Jeesh!

And sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I didn't put it in the general support, since I didn't actually need help. Just wanted to know for future reference! Big Grin
It's absolutely no problem at all to ask questions, even if they are simple for some of us. It's always useful for future reference!