MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Domain Appraisal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was wondering if I could get a domain appraised by all of you. Yes I did get the idea for this from Jordan Toungue I've just had this domain for a while.. The domain name is x.b.o.x.l.i.v.e.s.t.o.r.e[DOT].c.o.m

No dots and [DOT]=.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Don't question whether or not I own the domain, it really doesn't matter since I'm asking for an appraisal. I do though. Also, can I get in trouble for having a trademarked name within the domain?
Can you post traffic stats? And yes you can I believe.
Yes, from my understanding, if you get popular Microsoft can simply appeal to ICANN, and you will lose your domain. Because that is how US IP law works. In the UK IP law is used to defend companies. In the US it is used as a weapon to destroy competition.
(2011-08-10, 07:49 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, from my understanding, if you get popular Microsoft can simply appeal to ICANN, and you will lose your domain. Because that is how US IP law works. In the UK IP law is used to defend companies. In the US it is used as a weapon to destroy competition.

I died.
Why is that?
Is there ANY way I can protect myself in the U.S. so that it can't get stolen by Microsoft? Maybe by making it appear that xbox is referring to something completely different?

Also, no one has given me an appraisal Toungue
When you have a domain with that much relevance, not even a disclaimer will help.
(2011-08-10, 11:20 PM)Camgaertner Wrote: [ -> ]Is there ANY way I can protect myself in the U.S. so that it can't get stolen by Microsoft? Maybe by making it appear that xbox is referring to something completely different?

Also, no one has given me an appraisal Toungue

You can't, that's why trademark law is there. To stop confusion between 2 services, and to reduce harm to reputation in the process of the owner of a service being damaged when a similarly named services becomes liable for some misfortune Wink
Would moving it to a UK registrar help lol? Or do I have to be in the UK Toungue
No, you could still get sued by a US trademark holder. There is literally no way around IP law, unless you can prove that Microsoft shouldn't be able to claim the rights to the name (ie: a company made a product named the same considerably beforehand, that gained a lot of popularity)

Case and point: Tim Langdell vs. Pretty much anything containing the word "edge"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games

^ interesting read Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4