MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why is there a date before my description in Google unlike MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Google Search:

MyBB:
The official homepage for MyBB, a free PHP and MySQL based discussion system.

Forum Source:
Jul 26, 2011 – Forum Source is the ultimate forum owner and addict community that provides high quality tutorials, tools, themes and plugins and promotes ...

Why is there a date before my description in Google and possibly other search engines that my site has been indexed in? I think it looks unprofessional for some reason... Is this only appearing for me, or everyone else as well? I've seen other site descriptions with this as well, like YaBB, theirs has a date... How can I remove the date so it's purely the description?
You can't just delete the date, that's up to Google. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the date Google last crawled your website. It's nothing to worry about and doesn't look unprofessional at all.
(2011-08-10, 01:11 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]You can't just delete the date, that's up to Google. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the date Google last crawled your website. It's nothing to worry about and doesn't look unprofessional at all.

Hm, is there any reason that it only shows up for certain websites? Obviously MyBB has been crawled by Google, so why doesn't a date appear for that?
It could be since MyBB hasn't changed their main site much. Not sure though.
MyBB is a much more reputable website than yours, it's constantly being crawled by Google and that's probably why it doesn't have a date. You have to work on your SEO and get search engines to crawl your website more frequently. And that takes time.
(2011-08-10, 01:15 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is a much more reputable website than yours, it's constantly being crawled by Google and that's probably why it doesn't have a date.

So as a site grows they stop posting the date they last crawled the site, most likely because they're doing it everyday? I'm not too worried about it, I just think it'd look a lot better if there wasn't a date as, like you said, a lot of the popular websites don't have one.
You have to work on your SEO and get search engines to crawl your website more frequently. And that takes time.
It is not known for sure if that date is the date it was crawled or the date of the last post at the time google crawled the site. This date is usually shown for blogs or sites with news articles for which dates are important. Google probably thinks your site is a blog or news article site.
My site used to have the date.. It goes away after a while, few months maybe. Don't worry about it Toungue
(2011-08-11, 02:01 AM)Camgaertner Wrote: [ -> ]My site used to have the date.. It goes away after a while, few months maybe. Don't worry about it Toungue

I'm glad, thanks. Wink

Thanks everyone else as well!