MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A more efficient way to manage Spam?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi all,

I am using 'Goodbye Spammer' and it works great! But I have to manually remove it.

Is there a tool that automatically removes spam for you? (maybe there is an option on Goodbye Spammer?). I understand it may be better to remove it yourself since you know what is spam and what isn't, but maybe you can set the parameters on a tool if one exists.

Anyway, please advise.

Thanks Smile
Do you honestly think spam would still be a problem if there was a tool that automatically deleted it?

No, there's no such thing.
There is no definite way to remove all spam, but if you are feeling adventurous, you can enable the Akismet plugin which auto detects some spam, and takes action. I say if you are feeling adventurous as this plugin can have many false-positives meaning innocent members could be banned. Other than that, no, there is no way to automatically remove spam. A combination of good moderators and goodbye spammer should be fine.
(2011-08-11, 09:06 AM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Do you honestly think spam would still be a problem if there was a tool that automatically deleted it?

No, there's no such thing.

There has to be a way to manage it! If there wasn't how could this forum still exist??

What is the best account activation setting to combat spam?

I set it to email verification for now. With this setting, they have to go through an auto-response to activate their account, correct? I do not have to actually email them myself?

I am assuming this is better than auto-activation obviously.

I thought about Admin. activation but think would be a pain since I would have to approve all the new member.

I would appreciate some input on this - Thanks.