MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [mybb_posts] Optimization Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This would add so much more bloat and needless queries than would even be helpful in the long run, even short-term. What if you have 999 posts, and the thousandth post gets put in a different table (because at the thousandth post a new table would be "needed", per-say)? How would MyBB know to get it? You would also then be querying two tables to get the same information you could from one table. Not to mention the general load to process the two tables.

Just run OPTIMIZE TABLE table_name_here; every week or so and you should be fine. You can even setup a cron job if your server supports it.
x_Stricken_x, I optimize the tables weekly. The following image displays what I want to tell here.
In big forums with a great amount of traffic, posts table always becomes the biggest table, and that makes the sql unhealthy.

[Image: libraf.png]
(2011-08-17, 09:17 PM)FirefoX Wrote: [ -> ]In big forums with a great amount of traffic, posts table always becomes the biggest table, and that makes the sql unhealthy.
Not really; it depends on the server.
(2011-08-17, 10:07 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Not really; it depends on the server.

If the server is perfect, it doesn't matter. However, it makes medium servers get stuck.
(2011-08-17, 10:37 PM)FirefoX Wrote: [ -> ]If the server is perfect, it doesn't matter. However, it makes medium servers get stuck.
What exactly are your benchmarks for a "medium" server?

The point here is that, while you could make changes to the database schema, the fact that your "dedicated" server has this kind of performance means the problem you're having is indubitably either a server configuration or hardware problem.
Steven, so please tell me then... What kind of server would you recommend for a big board (around 180.000 members most of whom are active, nearly 700.000 posts, daily nearly 10.000 unique visitors and 40.000 page views as well as taking syn flood attacks from banned users)?
And also please tell me its price. Recommend me a cheap server hosting company which will hold that website.
What is the saying with technology? You can get 2 out of three things at a time.

Price, speed, or reliability. So basically if you want both speed and reliability you're going to have to pay more.
(2011-08-18, 01:29 AM)FirefoX Wrote: [ -> ]Steven, so please tell me then... What kind of server would you recommend for a big board (around 180.000 members most of whom are active, nearly 700.000 posts, daily nearly 10.000 unique visitors and 40.000 page views as well as taking syn flood attacks from banned users)?
And also please tell me its price. Recommend me a cheap server hosting company which will hold that website.
I'm not in the dedicated server market so I can't give you an honest answer. I do know, however, that you need to make some changes and upgrades to your server if you expect the best performance from it. Make sure everything - OS, server, PHP, MySQL - is up to date and configured properly. You'll see an increase in performance just from that.

Beyond those guidelines, you'll have to ask someone else who is more familiar with running large boards.
The latest version of MySQL allows tables to be "partitioned". This allows MySQL to lock only part of the table for reads and writes, and (depending on your partitioning configuration) may only scan a part of your table on selects. I personally have not set it up before, so I'll let you search this result yourself.
also google mysql tuning, for example https://github.com/rackerhacker/MySQLTuner-perl

configure your mysql server so you get the best performance out of it
Pages: 1 2