MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GitHub repository
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Could you add MyBB 2.0 sources (I know, it's still at an embryonic stage) to a GitHub http://github.com repository? So people could easily contribute.
We actually have had one for over a year: https://github.com/mybb

It is currently uncertain if we'll be using it though.
Adding MyBB 2.0 sources would be a good idea. People could also develop their own fork (without being a project member) and you could easily "back merge" good contributions into the main project. It could also speed up MyBB 2.0 development.
(2011-08-16, 12:04 PM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]Adding MyBB 2.0 sources would be a good idea. People could also develop their own fork (without being a project member) and you could easily "back merge" good contributions into the main project. It could also speed up MyBB 2.0 development.

It's not going to work like that. MyBB won't be releasing any source code from 2.0 until the beta comes out. They're not just going to let people contribute to the core system. That just makes it messier and more unstable.

Plus, there is very little of MyBB 2.0 anyway. It's mearly the base.
(2011-08-16, 12:14 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]They're not just going to let people contribute to the core system. That just makes it messier and more unstable.

Well, that's why GitHub is good. People develops in their own branch instead of pushing changes to the main project. Do you like something? Merge. Do you like nothing? Don't merge.
We're well aware of the benefits of Github. That's why we made a repository there.

2.0 source code will not be available publicly until its beta stage.
I was about to suggest this as well. In fact, I think it should be the main hub for development versus a feature on mybb.com.
I don't see the point in setting it up right now. Maybe once it's stable, I could understand. I honestly never understood the "forking" of GitHub..
(2011-08-17, 08:27 PM)x_Stricken_x Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see the point in setting it up right now. Maybe once it's stable, I could understand. I honestly never understood the "forking" of GitHub..
Here's an explanation of git; forking is essentially checking out, only instead of being limited to your own projects you can "fork" someone else's project and work on it/contribute as if it was your own.
In English: you copy a project (fork) to add/edit to your liking. The original owners can then copy parts of your project back into the original work, and likewise you can you do the same.
Pages: 1 2