MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Linux/Ubuntu] Some noob questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I saw some of the users of this forum/people from other forums saying that Linux is one of the best OS. I used Ubuntu but i rarely used it so i uninstalled.

Well, my questions is:

What are the advantages of using Linux/ubuntu?
What is the difference of Linux and Ubuntu?

After these questions I have some more ( if I put ubuntu on my computer xD)
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, it's not a whole new operating system. And that's one of the major advantages in Linux. There are literally thousands of distributions to choose from. And they're all open-source! (there are a few commercial distros actually)

I'm using Linux right now and it's pretty cool. I wouldn't bother switching if you play a lot of games or do extensive graphic design though. Linux is just not ready. But it's great nonetheless. Super fast, very secure, powerful, awesome community behind it, tons of free applications. And unlike Winblows, you don't have to deal with viruses or crashes.
Cool.
Can you give me some tips/hints for linux?
There really aren't any tips or hints. It all comes down to the environment you choose - that's one of the main advantages in my eyes. You have the option to use the likes of Gnome or KDE or LXDE or XCFE depending on personal preference and there's something to suit anyone.

If you describe some of the usual tasks you preform, we may be able to advise distros that might be suitable.
What is the alternative program of Windows Live Messenger for Linux?
Pidgin or Kopete are what I use.
Pidgin, empathy, emesene... the list goes on. Most distros come with a base set of packages, of which an IM client is usually one.
By the way i was reading the wiki of linux, and the OS select, the linux does that automaticly?
I don't understand what you mean by "the OS select". Are yoi talking about being able to multiboot? If so, most linux distributions will install a bootloader (like GRUB) to handle boots - thus allowing multibooting.
Sweet, Thanks Euantor Smile

I am going to install linux right now xD
Pages: 1 2 3 4