MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Popup window detection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
if I use a popup window say
<li><a href="#" onclick="MyBB.popupWindow('{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/misc.php?action=buddypopup', 'buddyList', 350, 350);">{$lang->welcome_open_buddy_list}</a></li>
how can I detect the window again so if the user re clicks the link it does not open a second time but the user is shown the original popup window ?
I'm not really sure about what you're trying to do. Would you care to elaborate?
(2011-08-20, 04:11 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really sure about what you're trying to do. Would you care to elaborate?

if a popup window is not closed by the user, just discarded (so it is still open but hidden) if the user clicks the link to open the window again rather than opening a new window (you would have two popup windows open) as mybb does as default, I would like to detect the original popup window and give it focus.
Is that really necessary? What would be the purpose in this?

I'm not even sure if this is easily possible.
(2011-08-20, 06:29 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Is that really necessary? What would be the purpose in this?

have you every run a media player in this way ? if you do the second window is about a second or so behind the first one but as it happens it appears to be my bad coding and mybb, by default, picks up the original popup
This isn't a MyBB support thing. This is a coding thing.
http://www.webmasterworld.com/javascript/3215839.htm
(2011-08-20, 06:29 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Is that really necessary? What would be the purpose in this?

The purpose of this is to give support to people using Linux browsers (firefox & chrome) if you open a new window then minimize it, it becomes difficult to find it again. Using ubuntu 11.04 you have to open the unity launcher and double click the browser icon to view the open windows then choose the browser instance you wish to view, where as detection of the window or the ability to open the popup as a new tab rather than window would be of more use.
Opera under Linux does open the popups as a new tab so has the desired effect as the tab describes the window (the user can find the window easy)

Windows Browsers
I have got IE9 (trough it's settings) to open popups in a new tab which nearly fixes it
Opera for windows opens popups in a new tab also
Chrome for windows only opens a new window Sad
I had to borrow a windows machine and to date I can not comment on how IE browsers below version 9 behave.

The reason for this is for the project I am developing .. if you wish to know what the project I am developing PM me as I don't think it is right to mention the project in open forum