MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Adding Jcink forum boards to the merge system.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
JFB is a free IPB 1.3 host that is pretty mainstream, and they allow you to freely download your database, but the problem is....You can only upgrade to either IPB or VBulletin. I think there should be a free alternative for people, so they can convert to MyBB. Smile
what does that have to do with mybb, its Jcink forum boards who make the decision if they allow a converter or not, also mybb might not want to waste time to make a converter for such an old version of ipb.
(2011-08-21, 10:24 PM)Dark Byte Wrote: [ -> ]what does that have to do with mybb, its Jcink forum boards who make the decision if they allow a converter or not, also mybb might not want to waste time to make a converter for such an old version of ipb.

It has something to do with MyBB, if said user isn't satisfied with using an outdated/modified version of IPB, they might want to switch to MyBB without having their members re-register accounts.
Switching to MyBB wouldn't be "upgrading" anyways. It would be converting. Unfortunately at this time the only way to do so would be to convert to vB, upgrade to newer IPB, or convert to SMF (there is an SMF1 converter somewhere for IPB1)

I have no plans at this time to include native jcink support, you're only the 2nd person I've ever heard of even using it, and the first (since my time here started) to ask for it to be added to the merge system. Only when there is a large number of requests, or it is hugely popular (ie XenForo and Woltlab Burning Board) before its even released will there be modules added for it.
As far as I know, Jcink does not provide databases. Correct me if I'm wrong. This means you cannot directly convert to MyBB.

That said, you should talk to nneonneo. He specializes in remotely-hosted conversions using his crawler converter, in which you can use his converter to convert to phpBB 2/3 and then convert to MyBB that way.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/...c=188741.0
(2011-08-23, 12:08 AM)-AW- Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know, Jcink does not provide databases. Correct me if I'm wrong. This means you cannot directly convert to MyBB.

That said, you should talk to nneonneo. He specializes in remotely-hosted conversions using his crawler converter, in which you can use his converter to convert to phpBB 2/3 and then convert to MyBB that way.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/...c=188741.0

No, you can get a free copy of your database daily, if you wanted.