MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to make admin page secure?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideas?
Rename the default "admin" directory to something more obscure, then update /inc/config.php to reflect the new name (line 26, value of $config['admin_dir']).

You can also use Zash's Admin CP Honeypot modification.
You need to think of what you want to change it to.

Say you wanted to change it from /admin to /mybbadmin

Open inc/config.php

and change

$config[admin_dir] = admin;

to

$config[admin_dir] = mybbadmin;

Then change the admin directory name to mybbadmin or whatever you chose.

Next, you should remove the adminCP link or else all of this is useless.

Navigate to Templates & Styles > Templates > Header Templates > header_welcomeblock_member_admin

Then remove this:
&mdash; <a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$admin_dir}/index.php">{$lang->welcome_admin}</a>

Then your done.
(2011-08-22, 06:31 PM)Warrior01 Wrote: [ -> ]You need to think of what you want to change it to.

Say you wanted to change it from /admin to /mybbadmin

Open inc/config.php

and change

$config[admin_dir] = admin;

to

$config[admin_dir] = mybbadmin;

Then change the admin directory name to mybbadmin or whatever you chose.

Next, you should remove the adminCP link or else all of this is useless.

Navigate to Templates & Styles > Templates > Header Templates > header_welcomeblock_member_admin

Then remove this:
&mdash; <a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$admin_dir}/index.php">{$lang->welcome_admin}</a>

Then your done.

Why would he do that? The Admin CP link is only visible to administrators........
Because if the hacker gains access to the admin account then he can easily get to the Admin CP. If you remove the link, it makes it a little bit harder. However, I do not recommend removing the link directly from the template. There's a setting in ./inc/config.php around line 70 for that.
(2011-08-22, 06:34 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Because if the hacker gains access to the admin account then he can easily get to the Admin CP. If you remove the link, it makes it a little bit harder. However, I do not recommend removing the link directly from the template. There's a setting in ./inc/config.php around line 70 for that.
Line 36, you mean. Wink
Yes, thank you. I tried to say it off my head but failed. Angel
Yes, the reason someone would want to find the link to the ACP is because he has your account details, otherwise it would be useless. Removing the link would make it a bit harder. If you can't remember the link to type it in everytime, just write it in Notepad or on Pastebin.