MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Built In Themes and Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, as you all know, when you start a MyBB forum you start out with the default blue MyBB theme. I was thinking, maybe MyBB can develop 2-3 different themes that the admin can choose from so they don't have to find a theme or even buy one.

Same for plugins. MyBB 2.0 should have a few simple plugins that you can activate if you'd like. For example, shoutbox, tabbed menus and any other things that are widely used among MyBB forums.

Yes, but it will just make it so even more people use the same themes. You should be getting a custom theme anyway. The default is just there to give you a base to work off of.

And, a shoutbox will not be added as it defeats the purpose of a forum. Tabbed menus wouldn't be bad though Toungue.
I completely disagree. If you're not changing to a custom or other public theme you're doing it wrong. Shoutboxes are never going to be a part of the MyBB core (definitely not an official plugin) and are against the Terms of Service of many free and paid shared web hosts.

It's up to the board administrator to customize the community, not the MyBB team.
I personally hate the tabbed menu. Especially when people poorly name them and I cant find the category I'm looking for.
(2011-08-22, 06:30 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]I personally hate the tabbed menu. Especially when people poorly name them and I cant find the category I'm looking for.
Agreed. These kinds of unnecessary modifications seem to run rampant in the MyBB community. I personally don't understand it.
I only use Askimet, MyDownloads, MyNetwork (because right now I'm too lazy to redo the profiles Big Grin) and a few preparsers for a slight speed boost.
Oh yeah, I remember a dev saying a shoutbox will never be added etc.

But what I'm saying is a few default plugins and themes so people don't have to search around.

And, it would help the newbies.
(2011-08-22, 07:02 PM)Warrior01 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, I remember a dev saying a shoutbox will never be added etc.

But what I'm saying is a few default plugins and themes so people don't have to search around.

And, it would help the newbies.

Well consider this.

I may like Google SEO, tabbed menu and profile comments.

Jason might like MyNetwork, xthreads and New Points.

Which one should MyBB team go with? Its obvious that every people have their own likes and dislikes when it comes to a plugin or theme. How can MyBB determine 3 plugin that people would surely use?

I don't use Shoutbox or Tabbed menu plugins that you suggested. And i'm sure many people are not using it.

And for the themes, the default theme that comes with the package will only provide a structure with which you can tweak/build themes with. Even if they make you 10 themes, and 1000 forums use each themes 100 times, that wouldn't be unique.
Quote:You should be getting a custom theme anyway. The default is just there to give you a base to work off of.
Exactly. Most people forget what a forum software is for. It just helps people with creating their own community with that forum software as a base. It's a shame there are only a few unique forums.
i disagree it makes our hard work to create new themes