MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: moving threads within a forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there, I love mybb. There are some simple things that could be added though. The most important on my list is the ability of admins to move threads within a forum (re-order them basically). The fact that this can't be done is bizarre. There isn't even a plug-in for this.

One is the ability for mods to move posts. There is a plug-in for this but it should be part of the main package.

There should also be an actual contact page that a user or guest is taken to if they click on "contact us."

The admin (or mods possibly) should have the ability to delete or modify a members warning/disciplinary record. Warnings can be revoked but not removed nor can they be modified (like admin notes, etc.) after they are made. If it would be easy to allow these to be edited by admins that should be done. The more control over the forum the better.

There should be a way to bump posts without replying (which could be a permission so that only mods could do it). If we had a way to move threads within a forum then this wouldn't be needed but would still be a cool shortcut.

You guys are doing great though. PHPbb doesn't even have a way to add a new user from the admin panel lol. I doubt they will ever add it either. Weird if you ask me.
Half the things you mentioned can be done already(maybe not all core right now, but can be done).

You can control what actions your mods can take through the ACP already(and to my knowledge they can move threads by default). For deleting threads simply unapprove them instead of deleting them.

If your mods are messing with other mods well they shouldn't be mods...
(2011-08-26, 12:37 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, I love mybb. There are some simple things that could be added though. One is the ability for mods to move posts. There is a plug-in for this but it should be part of the main package.

Another one is that when mods delete threads or posts they should not be deleted permanently and the admin should be able to restore them.

There should also be an actual contact page that a user or guest is taken to if they click on "contact us."

The admin (or mods possibly) should have the ability to delete or modify a members warning/disciplinary record. Warnings can be revoked but not removed nor can they be modified (like admin notes, etc.) after they are made.

There should be a way to better control mod permissions and a way to prevent mods from moderating threads and posts of fellow moderators of the same level, moderators of a higher level, and administrators.

You guys are doing great though. PHPbb doesn't even have a way to add a new user from the admin panel lol. I doubt they will ever add it either. Weird if you ask me.
1. The posts should be relevant to a thread and most threads don't have the same subject, so it shouldn't be a good feature. I wouldn't see why not, but thats my thinking.
2. You can make a mod tool and find out someway to program out the default delete.
3. Agreed the default mailer is not always outlook... There needs to be a page just like that. I think that should be a plugin, because, you might have to sync your email so it will stick these messages to the top of the inbox (or make a new folder).
4. Not a good idea about revoking warnings, once the warning is made, it shouldn't be modified. Although permanent admin is not a bad idea, but what if you want to take back a comment you made?
5. That is already incorporated.... however if it seems to insecure for you, there are some plugins that add more restrictions.

I don't see the use of moving individual posts; that should remain a plugin.
(2011-08-26, 12:37 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Another one is that when mods delete threads or posts they should not be deleted permanently and the admin should be able to restore them.

That's what unapproving is for. Get your mods in the habit of unapproving rather than deleting.

Quote:The admin (or mods possibly) should have the ability to delete or modify a members warning/disciplinary record. Warnings can be revoked but not removed nor can they be modified (like admin notes, etc.) after they are made.

What's the point of a record if everyone can go and modify it?

Quote:There should be a way to edit user ratings. There should be a way to bump posts without replying (which could be a permission so that only mods could do it).

Why?
(2011-08-30, 01:58 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the point of a record if everyone can go and modify it?

This would be something only the admin would be allowed to do on my forum not "everyone." Admins should have control over these things. Would it be hard to add this feature?

Quote:There should be a way to edit user ratings. There should be a way to bump posts without replying (which could be a permission so that only mods could do it).

Why?
[/quote]

Why not? Admins should have as much control as possible over the forum. I want to have the option of moving a thread to the top without making a pointless "bump" post.

I would modify this request to make a feature that allows for threads to be moved within a forum. Currently there is no way to do this apparently. This is a HUGE oversight. HUGE! Why in the world shouldn't an admin )or mod if the admin wants that to be) be able to do this?

Is it hard to add these features. If it is a lot of work than I'm not going to be hating on the Mybb team. But if it is not hard to add then what are they waiting for?

(2011-09-04, 03:14 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Why not? Admins should have as much control as possible over the forum. I want to have the option of moving a thread to the top without making a pointless "bump" post.

Sticky it?
(2011-09-04, 03:23 AM)xerotic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-04, 03:14 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Why not? Admins should have as much control as possible over the forum. I want to have the option of moving a thread to the top without making a pointless "bump" post.

Sticky it?

This doesn't solve it because is there even any way to manually order the sticky posts? And once you unstick it it goes back to where it was. They just need to have it so that we can move threads within a forum. It just doesn't make any sense that we can't do this. Would it be hard to add this? MYbb is such awesome software that it's frustrating that something so small but improvement such as this basic feature is not included. I highly doubt they will include it in the next release or the one after that. I don't know why though. It is a feature that vbulletin may not even have.
(2011-09-04, 05:07 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]They just need to have it so that we can move threads within a forum.
How do you suggest such a system would work?
What would happen if a user creates a new thread? Where would this go?
What about new posts?
What about if the user decides to sort all threads by name instead of last post?
How would this system display sticky posts? Above, below or interleaved within your manually positioned threads?
(2011-09-04, 11:23 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-04, 05:07 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]They just need to have it so that we can move threads within a forum.
How do you suggest such a system would work?
What would happen if a user creates a new thread? Where would this go?
What about new posts?
What about if the user decides to sort all threads by name instead of last post?
How would this system display sticky posts? Above, below or interleaved within your manually positioned threads?

These are good questions. All new threads would go on top. Perhaps we could create a default order for forums that is based on the time of last post but can be manually reordered. Then they can be sorted based absolutely on time posted or by name or author and so on.

Sticky posts would still be their own thing so they would be above all regular post, whether manually repositioned or not. They would also be movable within the sticky area.
Pages: 1 2