MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move post from one thread to another without having to split it into a new topic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-08-27, 10:41 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Someone makes a post about x subject in topic why when there is already a topic x.
You mean the user meant to post in another thread but (somehow, magic probably) posted in an entirely different thread? That never happens.

Their post is probably relevant to the discussion on hand and you're being too strict with moderation. Again, it's all about keeping the natural flow of conversation.
(2011-08-28, 03:13 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-27, 10:41 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Someone makes a post about x subject in topic why when there is already a topic x.
You mean the user meant to post in another thread but (somehow, magic probably) posted in an entirely different thread? That never happens.

Their post is probably relevant to the discussion on hand and you're being too strict with moderation. Again, it's all about keeping the natural flow of conversation.

He means that an user can post inside a thread, but his post may be better suitable for another thread discussion that already exist so you just want to remove it form the current thread and move it over to the other one.

I see this happening in manga/anime/tv series/movies/books forums, where conversations about what is going to happen next chapter ends into several different discussions, and almost always there are threads for those so you want to move posts to the right location.
(2011-08-28, 03:13 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]

You seem to know an awful lot about my forum's hypothetical posts! It's a basic moderation option, don't know why you're so concerned about how I would use it.

If users begin talking about something totally unrelated in a topic, I'd move it to the appropriate topic. If you don't want to run your board that way, you'll be relieved to know that you don't have to!
(2011-08-28, 07:21 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to know an awful lot about my forum's hypothetical posts! It's a basic moderation option, don't know why you're so concerned about how I would use it.
Since you failed to provide any actual examples other than reiterating your original post, I had no choice but to use my own previous experience to judge your request, and in the past five years I've never had to do this.

(2011-08-28, 07:21 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to run your board that way, you'll be relieved to know that you don't have to!
You don't have to be so condescending. Thanks.
Because every example where you would need to do such a thing is the same. Move post from one topic to another. I don't think a complicated case study is necessary. I've needed to do this countless times. Others have as well. You haven't. That doesn't mean this is a bad idea.
Bumping this because I really, really hope this will make it into a future release.
I would find it useful as well, even in 1.8 perhaps.
+1

i use plugin move-posts in 1.6.*... Really put this in core, is very useful.
I tried move posts (using the plugin) live over UB but it bugged the OP. It made the new post merged as OP and OP would go down by one post.

As a side note, Google SEO user. I guess it would be pretty good to have in 1.8 . I plan to move posts to a JUNK thread far away from eyes of normal registered user's reach instead of deleting them.
I agree that this would be useful. I run a forum where users post photos of their daily shave in a new thread that is started on a weekly basis. a lot of times, users will post their photos in the old threads instead of the new ones. because it's a PITA to merge the post with a different thread, I don't even bother with it.
Pages: 1 2 3