MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to back-up Minecraft?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
not sure if relevant but might have something to do with the . at the beginning of the folder name
(2011-09-09, 12:58 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]not sure if relevant but might have something to do with the . at the beginning of the folder name
Kinda, I'm pretty sure the files are being copied over but when he tries to view them they're hidden and it looks like it didn't work, which is why I suggested using ls -laR.
(2011-09-09, 12:38 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]You're doing this, right?
ls -laR

I'm pretty sure Mincecraft uses hidden files.

I tried it with that and it worked, thanks! Big Grin Kinda weird though.. Shouldn't Nautilus have shown the contents of the folder if you run it as root? I can't remember, but I got it to show my actual .minecraft folder (in Nautilus), but I can't remember how now (but it doesn't matter).
Glad you got it working. Is it set for an auto-save script? OR do you manually punch it every so often?
You could easily put all that in an SH script and cron it. Or even at start/shutdown
(2011-09-19, 06:03 PM)Kbassil Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you got it working. Is it set for an auto-save script? OR do you manually punch it every so often?
I do eventually plan to make it into an auto-save script, but for now I do it manually - usually every hour or so (if I am playing a lot)

(2011-09-19, 06:19 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]You could easily put all that in an SH script and cron it. Or even at start/shutdown
I'll have to look up how to do that. I've only lost one creative world so far because I forgot to backup - but that's better than the issues I had installing mods lol

Also, for anyone who is curios: I am backing up the whole Minecraft folder into a folder inside of a "Minecraft Backups" folder. So say I got a mod working and created a world for it (and say, for example, the mod is Clay Soldiers); I would then have a "Clay Soldiers" folder and a "Default" folder - then Default folder is a 100% stock Minecraft backup. Not sure if it's pointless to back that up or not, but it bothers me when I have to re-download.
Yup that makes sense.

Just open Gedit and type the commands you'd type into cli. (:
(2011-09-20, 12:30 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Yup that makes sense.

Just open Gedit and type the commands you'd type into cli. (:

Is there anyway I can do like an if to actually say "Minecraft has been backed up?". I'm gonna Google it as well incase you don't know, but it can't hurt to ask ;P
Pages: 1 2