MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Steps to upgrade Mybb to 1.6.2 and Google SEO Plugin to 1.6.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, I was in doubt how to proceed with the update of both mybb to 1.6.4 and Google SEO to 1.6.1, as it wasn't very clear at the instructions.

Here are the steps I followed and seemed to work fine:
1) Rename settings.php to settings.php.original on the 1.6.4 files package (before uploading to server)
2) Replace to original inc/functions.php for 1.6.2
3) Deactivated Google SEO Plugin
4) Upload all 1.6.4 on top of 1.6.2
5) install at http://[DOMAIN]/install/
6) Install PluginLibrary (as part of the google SEO 1.6.1)
7) copy google SEO 1.6.1 to mybb/inc
8) Enable plugin: Admin CP -> Configuration page.
9) Enable and configure each google seo settings
10) Copy functions-googleseo-1.6.4.php on top of the inc/functions.php
from here: http://community.mybb.com/thread-46423.html
11) Change template to use the right js version (on header template), as it was with 1600 version when requesting javascripts.
In step 9, you no longer need to manually replace the ./inc/functions.php file. In fact, what you downloaded won't work because it's for the legacy version. You should replace it with a fresh copy of ./inc/functions.php, head over to Admin CP > Configuration > Plugins and look for a link which will make the changes to the file automatically.

The rest is perfectly fine.
Google SEO Update Step:

> Upload Google SEO 1.6.1 Files
> Upload Plugin Library
> Deactivate ACP > Plugins > Google SEO
> The, Activate it again
> Follow what google seo say's, Like Apply Core Edits
> Enable Google SEO Settings
> Add the additional Code
(2011-08-29, 08:10 AM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]In step 9, you no longer need to manually replace the ./inc/functions.php file. In fact, what you downloaded won't work because it's for the legacy version. You should replace it with a fresh copy of ./inc/functions.php, head over to Admin CP > Configuration > Plugins and look for a link which will make the changes to the file automatically.

The rest is perfectly fine.

Actually the file I mentioned is this: functions-googleseo-1.6.4.php

Which is the file already changed.

But on the plugins page I still have the message:
Quote:URL is passive. Apply changes to core files to activate.
Redirect is enabled and URL is passive. Redirecting SEO URLs back to MyBB's default URLs.

What is this "passive" referring to?
I`m a bit cautious about the " Apply changes to core files." as it isn't clear which files it will change. I have already replaced the function.php with the one provided on this post, so I'm afraid to run this and get the function.php messed up. What are the other "core files"?

You're not following me. You do not need to manually update the file anymore. And even if you did, it wouldn't work because that file is from the legacy version. What you need to do is download a fresh copy of ./inc/functions.php and replace the current file with that. Then click the Apply changes to core files link, which will automatically patch the required files for Google SEO to work. You can undo these changes afterwards if you want.
I get you, but this wasn't clear in the installation instructions.

The file I used was for the 1.6.4, did you check? "functions-googleseo-1.6.4.php"

It should also be clear which are the so called "core files" that will be changed...
It happened exactly what I was afraid. After installing and changing the core files, all was fine. For some reason it got back to the normal url's, and on the plugins page it doesn't show the option to revert to the previous option. And now I don't know which are those "core files" so that I could revert them manually and do the process again... Sad
luckly I had another forum ()with google seo 1.6.1) which I copied the functions.php from an it is now working alright.
When Google SEO doesn't show a "Revert" option, it means that it's already reverted.

It also doesn't show a "Apply" option when it's already applied.

When it shows both Apply and Revert, then some changes are applied, some are not. (The number of changes made depends on the setting, e.g. if you don't enable SEO URLs for user profiles it does not modify the user profile function).
hello all

i have some problem to run correctly this plugins

[Image: captureqoa.png]

when i click on Apply changes to core files.

my forum dont work when i try to open a thread i have an error 404

what i need to do ?
Emiak, replace the functions.php by the original one.
If this doesnt show the apply, get the functions on the thread I mentioned above.

(2011-09-02, 01:12 PM)emiak Wrote: [ -> ]hello all

i have some problem to run correctly this plugins

[Image: captureqoa.png]

when i click on Apply changes to core files.

my forum dont work when i try to open a thread i have an error 404

what i need to do ?

No. Don't get it from the thread above.

You need to make sure ./inc/functions.php is a fresh copy of the latest version. Then apply the changes by clicking the link.
Pages: 1 2