MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help installing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where do I find the start of this file? I'm stuck. I don't know where to look in the files? Hope someone can help me? Thanks. I used file zilla too. Do you edit them there or in the main files you download? I have done everything else in the instructions just need to do this. Then when I complete this I think mybb will work for me. I'm on a mac. I hope this is the right place to ask.

In ./inc/db_mysql.php, delete/remove or comment out:

if($success && $this->db_encoding)
{
$this->query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
if($write_success && count($this->connections) > 1)
{
$this->write_query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
}
}
return $success;

and also:

return " CHARACTER SET {$this->db_encoding} COLLATE {$collation}";

This will allow you to install MyBB. If you have any problems, please report them at the Community Forums.

Note: These changes are not needed if your host has MySQL 5.0 or above.

You'd just edit the file in your computer and upload it again through FileZilla.

You only need to do this if your web host doesn't offer MySQL 5.0. If they're still running 4.0, I would highly recommend not using them. Whatever you're paying for it is not worth it. Even if it's a free web host, it's just not worth it.
I have done this for you.
If you want to do by yourself use Notepad++ on your PC and add
/**
at the start of code and
*/ 
after return
$success;
wow thankyou so much what do i do with the file? where do i put it? in file zilla in mybb downloaded files admin somewhere? And upload to filezilla?How can I get the file workingso my forum runs propley after I edit the files in filezills. So when that works my forum should work when I use the link? I'm using byethehost there working quite well. Smile
You don't need to do any of this then. ByetHost runs MySQL 5.0, I've used them before.

That step is only for web hosts that run MySQL 4.0, which is strongly not recommended.
Thanks.