MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prevent automated registrations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I administrate for a community that is using Mybb. The problem is that the place is under a spam attack. A Stop Forum Spam plugin is installed but it's outdated.

The problem is that the root administrator is away and he only has ftp access, none of the other administrators have ftp access. The place is getting tons of automated spam registrations where spammers add a url to their site, icq, skype, msn handles, signature spam and some or most of the accounts are our lovely Russian "friends" that we "like" so much.

Is there any way to put a stop to this without ftp access? Any way to install plugins without ftp access? I was hoping I could install plugins by importing a zip or xml file from the acp but that doesn't seem possible with Mybb like other software.

I would like to install a Recaptcha, Keycaptcha and a Q & A plugin but it seems no dice without ftp access. Sad
Until FTP access is available, ban IP range and email domain.
That's useless, these spammers have access to what seems like an unlimited amount of ip addresses and email domains so that would do little to no good at all.
(2011-08-30, 02:35 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]That's useless, these spammers have access to what seems like an unlimited amount of ip addresses and email domains so that would do little to no good at all.

Are they in the same range?
I'm not sure and I don't want to start banning ranges in case there are legitimate members from those ip ranges.
You could simply ban ranges of IPs related to the Russian Federation, until you get access to FTP...
It won't work anyways, they are all using different ip ranges.
Make activation administrator activation.