MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Last Unread Post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, would it be possible to create a plugin which takes a user to the last Unread post rather than the last post on the forum home etc?

So if you click a threads title on the forum home or the little icon/arrow by the thread you are taken to the last Unread post and not the last post. This will save having to look back over the last few pages of a popular thread when you come to read it.

This is how it works on VB and I'm not sure how they do it but somehow the database stores the information so it doesn't matter where you log onto you log into your account and it knows what posts you've read or not. Be great if it could do this as well.

Many thanks to anyone who gives this a go.
It'd be complicated.
Yeah I figured, that's why you amazing guys and gals will enjoy the challenge Big Grin
It already does take you to the first unread post if you click on the green arrow from inside New Posts or on forum display. You can test it - create a new user and then give it a couple of hours for some new posts (or days :p ) and then log in as that user. If you go to new posts and click on the green arrow next to an unread post then it will align the last unread post at the top of the thread view.

Alternatively you can try it here on my board:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=48 << click on the green arrow in the threadlist view
Hmmm, it goes to the last post on your forum as well, even when clicking the green arrow. Is it meant to do that from the main forum view as well? You don't get a green arrow and clicking the thread title takes you to the last post.

Maybe it's just me and I'm going crazy... however randomly I do seem to be taken to the last unread post and not the last one... I don't know Toungue
Well, I am on mybb 1.6.3 still, but there is a possible bug (not sure if fixed) with all forums being marked as read for guests (look in the development tracker) so if you are a guest then it will only work once.

Like I said, try it on your own board. Of course, you have to define in the templates that you want the "jump to last unread" show in the appropriate areas using that variable and I have never tried hooking it up to the main forum view. I shall try it.

EDIT: I tried it - just chucking the variable in - unsurprisingly it did not work Smile What you could maybe do is put a image link UNDER the forum new posts thing with a search term to only look in that forum for new posts.